Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Security Essentials install problem

Hi forum members, a question please. Windows secret Newsletter and Fred Langa suggest to get MSE. I am not able to install. I have uninstalled all Malware programs, they were Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware blaster. The Error Code is 0x80070643. Lots of info on the web about this problem. I have used all the uninstall tools mentioned in the various posts. No Joy.
    The O/S is Win 7 home premium 64 bit. The MSE download was from Microsoft for Win 7 64 bit.
    Any ideas ? If it is too difficult to diagnose on the web don't worry as I have been going along for years without a virus or any Malware problem. It was so highly recommended by Fred Langa. According to the web posts I am not the only one with this concern. Regards Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Peter,

Maybe you seen this thread: Installation Error 0x80070643, but I just want to make sure you have seen it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rui, yes I did but it did no good. The only thing running is Zone Alarm Pro which is not a anti Malware program. I am not uninstalling Zone Alarm as it is been with my machine for over 10 years and it causes no problems up to now. Regards Peter

Thanks
    Temporarily disable the Zone Alarm prior to installing MSE.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint, I did but it made no difference. Same error code. From what I can gather the WSE is a anti virus and mal ware program and not a firewall. So I will just forget about it. no other anti virus or spyware etc program has ever caused me so much trouble and effort. The software either runs first time or not. If not , let Microsoft work on it some more. Thank you though for the help.Regards Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schulze View Post
    Hi Clint, I did but it made no difference. Same error code. From what I can gather the WSE is a anti virus and mal ware program and not a firewall. So I will just forget about it. no other anti virus or spyware etc program has ever caused me so much trouble and effort. The software either runs first time or not. If not , let Microsoft work on it some more. Thank you though for the help.Regards Peter
    Peter,

MSE is not the only good AV app out there. If the one you had before has worked for you, there is no need to change.

Probably it makes sense to run regularly (on-demand) some other anti-malware apps, like the free Malwarebytes AntiMalware, for additional protection, but for real time protection, changing to MSE is not an absolute must.

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also had the same error last year and went through many, many, emails with Microsoft support but got there in the end. I'm no expert but the problem appears to be that the MSE install gets corrupted, and then can't be overwritten by a good install so it has to be cleaned out manually. Anyway, no guarantees it will work for everyone, but this was the procedure that MS eventually provided that worked, it was painful, but it was worth it in the end, MSE has worked out very well for me.

Step 1:

Please follow the below steps to delete the existing Microsoft Antimalware and Microsoft Security Essentials folder in the following locations:

Location 1: Check in "C:\Program files\Microsoft Security Essentials"

- If the "Microsoft Security Essentials" folder is found in the above location please delete it.

On deleting the folder please go the next location.

Note: If you receive an "Access Denied" error message while deleting the above folder please follow the below steps to provide permissions to the folder and delete it.

Steps to provide permissions:

1. Click on Start.

2. Click on Run and type CMD and press Enter.

3. Copy and paste the below command in the command prompt window and press enter.

Cacls "C:\Program files\Microsoft Security Essentials" /t /g everyone:f

4. Type Exit to close the command prompt window.

5. Now try to delete the folder in location 1.

Location 2: Check for "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware"

To access the folder, copy and paste the below location in the Run command and press Enter:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware

Try to delete the folder. If you are not able to delete the folder, please follow the below step:

1. Click on Start.

3. Copy and paste the below command in the command prompt window and press enter.

Cacls "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware" /t /g everyone:f

5. Now try to delete the folder in location 2.

Location 3: Check for "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials"

To access the folder, copy and paste the below location in the Run command and press Enter:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\ Microsoft Security Essentials

Try to delete the folder. If you are not able to delete the folder, please follow the below step:

1. Click on Start.

Cacls "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\ Microsoft Security Essentials" /t /g everyone:f

Now try to delete the folder in location 3.

Step 5:

Please follow the below instructions to download the appropriate version of the Microsoft Security Essentials for your operating system:

1. Go to the below download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us

2. Click on "Locales and Languages" Right below the Download button and you will find following three download options for different versions of operating systems

Windows XP 32-bit

Windows Vista/WIN7 32-bit

Windows Vista/WIN7 64-bit

3. Select the appropriate version of the Microsoft Security Essentials and follow the On-Screen instructions to install the Microsoft Security Essentials.

4. Restart the computer after the installation completes.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Sooty2. I will try your suggestion in the near future. I will let you know if it worked. Regards Peter

Thanks
    Good information to have
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sooty2, I copied it, tweaked it and saved the text in my TOOLS folder... It is gr8 info and useful for a future bad day. P.S. On Fred Langa's suggestion, I have now been using MS Firewall and MSE ONLY for almost 4 months with NO compromises and some real nasty (Severe) stuff found and Deleted or Quarantined. And to think that I spent years putting up with commercial packages that gave me my premature grey hair! Since installing MF and MSE, I think my hair is turning brown again!!! LOL

New Lounger
    Thanks

I had this problem with WinXP and figured it out. May work for 7.

I found that if Ad-Aware by Lavasoft or any part of it left on the system it will cause 0x80070643 and/or 0x8004ff01 error code. Dig it out completely. Took me 5 hours to figure this out!