Thread: IP connections

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was using a program that I have - What's running - and it listed 113 IP connections on my computer. I don't know anything about this stuff. Why so many? I downloaded a program from Nirsoft - cports - which gives me a HTML report. Are there any security risks with so many connections and should I lie awake at night worrying about this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Are you running a firewall?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I run the Windows Firewall in Windows 7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    So there is no need to worry. At any given time there will be multiple TCP/IP connections both to the local connection and the internet and in different states. Just checked my PCs and have a few tens of connections myself. That is normal and if you have a good firewall and have adequate malware protection, you will be fine.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    How many are remote connections? Are any listed as 'unknown'?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The list of connections keep changing. Most seem to be remote and used by Firefox. Nirsoft has a list of trojans linked to ports. Only one seems to be on my system. It is Winit.exe which is a system file that could mask a trojan. I shouldn't interfere with it.

Thanks
    Close down your browser and any other application running in Windows that has access to the internet.
    Then redo the "Whats Running" scan.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    What I don't like with the Windows firewall is that the interface is lousy and it doesn't give you any decent control over what is happening. The firewalll I (Online Armor) gives me a list of all the apps that have connections and it also lists all connections and resolves the addresses they are connected to. If you have the need to see what is going on connection related, you either change firewall or find something that gives you all the info you need for the Windows firewall.

I think a casual look at the IP connections can cause a bit of a scare, because some programs will connect to surprising addresses (I remember at some point my AV connection to a Lithuanian address, until I found it was getting the AV signatures from there).

Keep adequate and up to date malware protection and don't worry too much about it. Just MHO.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I done that the list then fell to about 90 and started to change up and down and settled to about 35. I can recognize some of my programs - such as street map and adobe etc etc - in the list. Which ones should be connecting to the net? It seems like I opened a can of worms that needn't be opened. I am scrupulous about security and get few problems.

Thanks
    TCPView v3.02
    Try this program instead.

Many of the Sysinternals programs are far better than Sonic's "What's Running.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    What I don't like with the Windows firewall is that the interface is lousy and it doesn't give you any decent control over what is happening. The firewalll I (Online Armor) gives me a list of all the apps that have connections and it also lists all connections and resolves the addresses they are connected to. If you have the need to see what is going on connection related, you either change firewall or find something that gives you all the info you need for the Windows firewall.

I think a casual look at the IP connections can cause a bit of a scare, because some programs will connect to surprising addresses (I remember at some point my AV connection to a Lithuanian address, until I found it was getting the AV signatures from there).

Keep adequate and up to date malware protection and don't worry too much about it. Just MHO.
    I use the ....http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/ ..... as a front but I think I would have to pay for the better version to see what is going on but then I would have to learn more. So is it worth it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    TCPView v3.02
    Try this program instead.

Many of the Sysinternals programs are far better than Sonic's "What's Running.
    Thanks. I downloaded it. I have something more to learn.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jascarlin View Post
    I use the ....http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/ ..... as a front but I think I would have to pay for the better version to see what is going on but then I would have to learn more. So is it worth it?
    I don't know what it does, so can't really advise there. Check the one Clint advised, maybe it's all you need.

A lot of apps are quite "chatty" these days. I use the status window on my firewall very rarely, but I like to have it, just in case. However I do not lose sleep over the number of connections and neither should you .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Street maps and Adobe should not be accessing the internet when their specific programs are not currently being run in windows.
    You can look into reconfiguring these programs so that they are only active when specifically called to use.

ie
    Remove start up items associated with these apps. (preferably from within the app properties itself)
    Limit their services to manual if applicable.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Via Windows firewall I do restrict what leaves my computer. Unfortunately some of the entries are now read only and can't be altered. I will look at this more closely. I have start up down to 2 entries and have always been scrupulous about this. I think that I have PROBABLY got things under control. It was the number of entries in the IP connections that threw me.