New Lounger
    Thanks

Protected Content Migration

I used Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files from XP Pro to Windows 7. There were 2 users on the computer. Easy transfer asked for password for the one user. That user did not have a password. When leaving password blank easy transfer says the password is incorrect. I canceled the process and now all the data from that person is locked.

Does anyone know of how to unlock the files? It contains all my emails and documents.

Thanks
    Did you do a custom install over the XP partition? If so there is a folder in the C Drive called windows.old that can be opened like any other folder. This folder contains the entire old XP OS. You may be able to get at all the data through this route. If you can, simply drag the data from the windows.old folder to the new location in Win 7.

Once you choose a mail client in Win 7 (It does not include a mail client. You will need to install one. Many of us have chosen WLM http://explore.live.com/windows-live...tials?os=other a part of the WLE Suite of apps.) you may be able to import your mail from your old mail client (Did you use OE in XP?)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I did a custom install over the XP Partition. But the install formatted the partition. I have looked for the windows.old and could not find it. Did not use OE in XP used Firefox.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BclCreations View Post
    Yes I did a custom install over the XP Partition. But the install formatted the partition. I have looked for the windows.old and could not find it. Did not use OE in XP used Firefox.
    Open Windows Explorer. Should be in the (C) Drive I believe directly under the Windows folder. If not there perhaps XP does not allow this, or perhaps there was an option set to format before installation.

OE is Outlook Express (email) not a browser, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Unfortunately, since I did npt use Easy Transfer, I do not know how to unlock this info. Check these http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...&client=ie9-lb Google links for answers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    What do you mean by locked?

Can you login as the problematic user?

Did the data actually get transferred?

Have you tried taking ownership of the data?

Joe