Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Security Essential Shuts Itself OFF

Greetings -

I have the 64 bit version of WIN 7 and thought I'd try the MS security essentials anti-malware suite. I have the latest version (2.0.657.0) of this software, & my windows installation is fully updated. The problem is that "Essentials" shuts itself off after every reboot. It starts normally, then after about four minutes, the action center flag gives a warning and says Essentials isn't running. I click it back on and the program works fine until the next reboot or cold start up. Per guidance from a MS host site, I disabled the windows defender service, changed my windows update status to automatic download and install, & used the norton uninstaller utility to remove my old suite. I have no other real time protection anti-malware programs installed. I have MALWARE BYTES and SUPERANTISPYWARE software installed, but neither loads at startup for real time I do run WINPATROL PLUS. I might try disabling that next, but I really like the program. After doing the things I mentioned, I uninstalled, then reinstalled MS security essentials. Alas it still does the same thing--shuts itself off after about 4 minutes. Originally, I thought the shutdown occurred when windows update started (listed in services as a delayed start item), but I no longer think so. I also noted a delayed startup of a service named atieclxx.exe and thought it might be the culprit. It's a service related to my video card. Anyway, that service is now also disabled, and the problem persists. Any thoughts would be appreciated. If I can't cure this, I'll need to go back to Norton.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Seems other users have experienced issues running WinPatrol with MSE: http://www.techsupportalert.com/free...0-final-6.html, so it seems your problem may result from that, too.

Regards

Rui

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input. I went ahead and disabled WINPATROL on startup. I did not uninstall it, but thought that disabling it would be adequate for troubleshooting purposes. I still get the same results. After reboot, it's good for about four minutes, then ESSENTIALS shuts itself off.

Casey H.

Thanks
    I might try a reinstall of MSE while WinPatrol is disable. First download and save the MSE exe file to your PC. Then uninstall the current MSE through Control Panel, Programs and Features, then right click on the exe you saved and choose Run as Administrator (gives the highest level privliges) This should reinstall MSE while Win Patrol is disabled.

It generally is never a good idea to have multiple security apps running in real time. Since MSE includes both AV and AM components, WinPatrol may have been conflicting, even during installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought the last tip might have done it, but no. After uninstalling MSE and reinstalling it via right click, run as administrator, with everything else disabled, MSE still shuts itself off. It even shut itself off during the install. Prior to MSE, Norton said my system was clean, and MSE on a full scan said it's clean, too. Thanks for the input folks, but I'm afraid I'll have to renew my subscription to Norton.

Casey H.

Thanks
    Thanks for this tip Rui. I have a friend running 64-bit with MSE issues and I'm sure they run WinPatrol as well.
    Take a sad song and make it better

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
    Thanks for this tip Rui. I have a friend running 64-bit with MSE issues and I'm sure they run WinPatrol as well.
    Yes, that could explain it. Seems a common situation.

Having multiple security apps is not a bad idea, but they need to be compatible... and they should still let you use the PC .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey H View Post
    I thought the last tip might have done it, but no. After uninstalling MSE and reinstalling it via right click, run as administrator, with everything else disabled, MSE still shuts itself off. It even shut itself off during the install. Prior to MSE, Norton said my system was clean, and MSE on a full scan said it's clean, too. Thanks for the input folks, but I'm afraid I'll have to renew my subscription to Norton.

Casey H.
    Did you uninstall Norton just before installing MSE? How did you uninstall Norton? Did you use the Norton Removal Tool, or did you remove it with Windows Programs and Features? Check Task Manager to see if any Norton processes are still listed there, and kill them if there are. Also, if you are comfortable in searching the Registry, do a search for Norton Security Suite, or whatever version of Norton you had installed, and remove any entries found. Be sure to back up your Windows Registry before editing. An image backup of your system partition would be wise too.

Downloading and running Autoruns to check for Norton leftovers still running on your system is also useful. Also check Services for anything Norton and disable any you find there.

New Lounger
    Thanks

WinPatrol and MSSE

Quote Originally Posted by Casey H View Post
    I do run WINPATROL PLUS. I might try disabling that next, but I really like the program. After doing the things I mentioned, I uninstalled, then reinstalled MS security essentials. Alas it still does the same thing--shuts itself off after about 4 minutes.
    Sounds like you took the right steps. I run WinPatrol and MSSE on my wifes laptop which is a Win7 64 bit machines. I've run into a few quirks with 64 Windows but no conflicts between WinPatrol and MSSE. Any reports of conflicts have been fixed in the current build. Sounds like you took logical steps to take WinPatrol out of the equation.

WinPatrol is a unique utility and the monitor component doesn't work like traditional security programs. There will usually be some overlap in protection but WinPatrol is a safe auxillary program to run with other traditional AV type programs.

You might try using WinPatrol's Delayed Start feature and have it launch MSSE after the system is up an running. Or, Delay the start of other programs to rule them out. If you right click on a program in the list of Startup Programs one of the options will be Move to Delayed Start.

Thanks!
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome Bill, creator of the best piece of software I've ever purchased.
    Thank you for the tip about WinPatrol's Delayed Start feature.
    Even though I haven't been having any problems with WinPatrol and MSSE,
    I did use the feature to delay the startup of MSSE. Msmpeng.exe is so slow
    that by doing so my boot-time has improved.
    Best,
    Dick-Y