Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis 2010 new version update

Hello all,
    Anyone who is still using Acronis TI home 2010 v-7046 ...There has been an update to v-7154 proceed with caution as it seems to have problems. Don't "update" until you read this http://forum.acronis.com/forum/17746 If it works (7046) don't mess with it. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2011-01-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    That's a very useful heads up, Fred. Thanks .

Regards

Rui

Thanks
    I have been using TI for years and while the program is good, one thing I have found with TI is that they never seem to fix the bugs and then come out with a new version that may, or may not have the old bugs fixed but definitely a slew of new ones....

After Version 9 they came up with this new marketing strategy to name the versions after the year so while you think you're getting a new version your really getting the previous version with a few new bells and whistles...

Anyway, like I said, it's a good program and has saved my neck on numerous occasions over the years.

Thanks
    The current Acronis True Image version is 2011, Build 6597. This Build is not ideal for older Windows XP computers, but is otherwise stable. I don't like the way they rearraanged their interface, but that is a matter of preferece and a slight learning curve.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Sure, they change things like the interface so you think you're getting something entirely new..

I used TI 9 for years and only got 2010 because I needed it for Windows 7..

There is really no reason to upgrade every time they come out with something new unless there is a new feature you feel you want or need..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    Sure, they change things like the interface so you think you're getting something entirely new..

I used TI 9 for years and only got 2010 because I needed it for Windows 7..

There is really no reason to upgrade every time they come out with something new unless there is a new feature you feel you want or need..
    Every two versions they change the Archive Formats enough that the newer versions cannot read archives made by versions two years back. That alone is a reason to stay current, and don't try to retain old Acronis archives.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Yes Bob, they do that also.

Also, their tech support is pretty good but it take awhile.

They have a lot of patches and fixes on their site but they are not located in a central place and you have to muddle through their tech support or on their support forums before someone tells you where to get the fix..

Also, in the newer versions, from 2010 on you just can't delete the old archives with explorer. Now you have to delete them through the program or you start getting failed backup log warnings even though you are backed up.

Oh well, kinda reminds me of Microsoft....
    When all their was was DOS they developed Windows to make things easier for people that had a hard time dealing with DOS commands but Windows has become more complicated then DOS ever was...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Yes Bob, they do that also.
    Also, in the newer versions, from 2010 on you just can't delete the old archives with explorer. Now you have to delete them through the program or you start getting failed backup log warnings even though you are backed up.
    Interesting, I always do my images from the Boot CD and I can still delete images via Explorer w/o getting messages.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I have a friend that does it the way you do but I never really saw any good reason to do it that way.

What I do is schedule a daily back up to one drive and then schedule another back up about an hour later to another drive.
    That way I always have a copy of the backup.

I was referring to scheduled backups and I don't think you can do scheduled backups from the boot CD..At least I never tried to.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    You are correct you can't schedule backups from the boot cd. I don't take images that often. I do my daily backup {data only} using synctoy to my network drive.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I back up every day for a week with incrementals then start over. I don't like to keep more then a weeks worth of incrementals...

Every so often I burn the images to DVD just in case..

I also make an image before I install anything new.

As quirky as TI can be at times I always found it to be reliable and has saved my butt on numerous occasions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using TI 2010 and I regularly delete older archives using Windows Explorer. Where do you see the "failed backup log warnings"?

Thanks

Thanks
    I forget the exact problem I was having but it had something to do with deleting the old backup with Windows Explorer in TI2010.
    I used to delete them that way with TI 9.

I believe it had to do with TI 2010 keeping the old backup in it's internal log.

When I asked TI support about the problem I was told that in 2010 old archives had to be deleted through the TI interface and not with Windows Explorer...

If you look on the TI support forums you will find more about it...