New Lounger
    Thanks

SQL Server 2008 SP2 update and Win 7

SQL Server 2008 SP2 update and Win 7

I am sending this as a partial database question, partial Windows 7 question, in the hope someone might be able to sort out this issue.

I installed Win 7 Home Premium over Vista Home Premium (properly updated) in October, successfully. In December, among many other updates recommended automatically from Microsoft was KB2285068 for X64 bit machines to add SQL Server 2008 SP2.

I have an HP Pavilion Elite desktop with 64-bit Quad duo, 8 GB RAM, plenty of hard drive space, Kaspersky Internet Security, and use VSS services (which I assume involves SQL Server) via my backup software, Shadow Protect.

I do not know whether I have downloaded SQL Server 2008 or some version of it to run some of my software, or whether it comes with Win 7 by default, so I am not sure why the update was recommended.

I do know that some elements of SQL Server SP1 are recorded as previous updates, as well as other references to SQL Server present in various listings of process and services, although I cannot seem to find a way to open a management console related to SQL Server and inspect its operation.

I do have some software which is moderately aggressive in terms of support requirements, such as Shadow Protect (the backup imaging software), and Maple 13, a symbolic math package, and I have downloaded Google Earth, and so forth. Perhaps, I may have been prompted to add some version of SQL Server 2008 to provide necessary support?

Anyway, every time I try to install this SQL Server 2008 SP2 item, the install registers as failed. So, I did searches on Bing and Google, and found out that many other users were having and had been having similar problems, apparently related to not having the latest .NET 4.0 installed prior to the SQL Server 2008 SP2 install.

If my understanding is correct, the Win 7 Home Premium install disk loaded .NET 3.5 along with Win 7. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So, I downloaded this .NET 4.0 and installed it successfully, then tried to install the SQL Server 2008 SP2, but still got the failed update message in my update log after each install attempt, in spite of the claims on Bing with respect to KB2285068 that .NET 4.0 would solve the update problem.

Now, I know from the traffic on Bing and Google that there seem to be many varieties of SQL Server 2008 out there, including the Express version which seems to have been made available to support other software which requires some of these capabilities. So I am actually not completely sure what version I apparently have, as well as why I was prompted to do the update.

In addition, although I turned Kaspersky Internet Security off (firewall, anti-virus, and so forth) prior to at least one install attempt, the update still failed.

Should I also turn off VSS and Shadow Protect services and processes prior to attempting the update? This seems a bit unlikely as the problem cause and also a bit awkward. How would I know whether I got every possible problem?

What do you think the problem might be? How do you suggest I try to research or sort out this issue?

Thanks in advance for any consideration you might be able to provide with respect to this issue.

Flatlander2

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    VSS is the Windows Shadow Copy service that allows backup programs to tale snapshots of your disk. This allows backup of open files and has nothing to do with SQL.

SQL 2008 is most likely SQL Express, the free version of SQL server that is used by any number of applications. To see what version it is, open Services and look for SQL, or check C:\Program File\MSSQL (I think that is the correct directory).

It is possible that SQL Express does not need the patch as it is only running locally and is not a target for attackers on the internet.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You likely have the Express version indeed, as the other one is rather expensive. The best way to check the version is through Programs and Features in Control Panel, as if you go through the program folders, you will have the internal version names and not the commonly used public version names.