tgeorge

Case-sensitivity, please help (Access2000)

Is there any way to make Access2000 see the difference between CAPITAL and lowercase letters?
    I am storing both CAPITAL and lowercase letters in the same field and need to be able to differentiate them.
    I would appreciate any help that you may be able to provide.
    Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Case-sensitivity, please help (Access2000)

The simple answer is NO. Access is not case sensitive by default. It is possible to make the code in a particular module case sensitive, and there are other ways to force Access code to handle the ASCII value of the characters, which is different for caps and non-caps. However, nothing is going to make a table case sensitive. What specifically are you trying to do?
    Charlotte

tgeorge

Thank you very much, Charlotte, for your feedback.
    I am trying to make a relationship in which this field is the primary key. I am taking data from another system which uses Capitilized and lowercase letters as identifiers (within the same field). I need to use those same values (lowercase "i" vs. CAPITAL "I", for example) to establish a relationship. I need those two values to be seen as different characters in order to establish a unique relationship.
    Does that help? Please let me know if you would like additional information. I am willing to leave my number if you prefer to talk about it over the phone.
    Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You aren't going to be able to do it . Access tables see (and join) fields as case-insensitive. If you are actually linking to an external table, you're out of luck. If you import the data, you can add a field to both tables and populate it with the ASCII value of the key field using the Asc() function, then join on the ASCII value field, which will contain different values for upper and lower case characters.
    Charlotte