3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy VERY old calendars have reappeared

All of a sudden, a whole slew of old calendars have reappeared in some users' Outlook Calendar Views. We're talking about people who left the organization years ago, and meeting rooms from the premises we occupied before moving to this premises (maybe 6 years ago?). Just one day, several people noticed these old Calendars listed in Outlook!?

We're using Outlook 2010 with Exchange 2007.

Has anyone seen this before or heard of this happening to anyone else?

Many thanks for any advice.

Brian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you checked with the Exchange admins? Did someone restore an old Exchange database? Do the users or meeting rooms still exist in AD?

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

farscape_fan (2011-01-24)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. I'm the Exchange Admin! LOL!

I didn't do a database restore (we don't even use the same tapes we used a few years back). The Server is newer than the one that contained the Old Rooms (ie, it was a fresh install of Exchange on a 64-bit Server; our old Exchange 2003 was on a different Server with a different Backup System). So, even if we wanted to restore from, eg, 6 years ago, the tapes wouldn't work in our current Backup DAT Drive???
    The Rooms/Users were deleted from AD many years ago. We normally delete users within 3 months of their leaving.
    It's *so* weird. I can't even begin to fathom how our current Exchange would even know some of these rooms, unless when the information was imported from the old server, everything was imported (not just active users). Even so, because they don't appear in Exchange Management Console or AD, is there any way to find out why Outlook is populating with these 'invisible' defunct entries?

Many thanks again
    Brian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Would a user be importing an old PST file?

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

farscape_fan (2011-01-24)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe
    Thanks for your reply.
    I would assume that if a user had imported an old PST, it would only affect that user. However, this has appeared in several people's Calendars. Also, I doubt any of the users it's happened to would even have a clue as to how to import a PST. Not very IT savvy.

Thanks again for your reply; any other thoughts?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried using the Exchange Management Shell to see if you can list and remove the "old stuff"?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To be honest, I haven't tried and wouldn't be sure of the syntax to find or list 'old stuff'. Could you point me in the right direction, please?

many thanks

Brian

Administrator
    Thanks
    The Exchange Management Shell consists of cmdlets added to Windows Powershell. If you aren't familiar with Powershell it can be somewhat intimidating at first. However, you should acclimate fairly quickly. You should download Introduction to the Exchange Management Shell and Exchange Management Shell Quick Reference. For more in depth see Technet - Exchange Management Shell

Joe