New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Install Programs

Running XP SP3 I'm trying to install MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and get the following Windows Installer Message: The feature you are trying to us is on a network resource that is unavailable. I have since tried to install Comodo anti virus with the same result. Thanks for any help.

Frank

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Where are you trying the install from? Is the installer located on a local disk?

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The above photo's are what I get when the install stops.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Try this. Open a command prompt and run:

MSIExec /unregister

then

MSIExec /regserver

and then try the installation again.

Thanks
    You may also have to download the exe and save to your PC. Then right click the exe and choose Run as Administrator. Also, disable any other security apps that may be running already. At times security apps interfere with each other.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been working with MS support but all there suggestions have failed. That's why the delay in response.

ruirib, tried your suggestion and still get same result as in the photo's above.

tedshhemyers, I'm not sure what exe you are referring to: the MSE or the MSIExec that ruirib mentioned.(sorry but I'm a novice at this) I did right click on the MSE download and " run as " admin with still the same thing.

I have uninstalled all security and been in the reg to remove all remaining keys per MS instructions. I'm only running with a firewall right now.

Thank you both for the help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I download from the Microsoft site

New Lounger
    Thanks
    tedshhemyers, I'm not sure what exe you are referring to: the MSE or the MSIExec that ruirib mentioned.(sorry but I'm a novice at this) I did right click on the MSE download and " run as " admin with still the same thing.

I have uninstalled all security and been in the reg to remove all remaining keys per MS instructions. I'm only running with a firewall right now.

Thank you both for the help.

Thanks
    Frank, you said you also attempted to install Comodo AV and got the same results. That is two AV apps that have not installed. Have you attempted to install any other programs to see what happens? Try installing something you have wanted to take a look at (but no security program), that you can uninstall later without much bother. If it installs correctly, then that could indicate some malware that is blocking the ability to install known security software.

Another Moderator, Clint, put together a great list of online scanners in another thread here. Give them a try if you succeed in installing another program.

SuperAntispyware Portable is also available here. This software is good for more than spyware. Copy it to a USB flash device and you can run scans of your system. The file name changes frequently so malware cannot recognize it by name. It is also kept up to date on the web site with fresh definitions so you can download and copy it to the USB flash drive whenever you need to use it.

Another great tool can be found on How To Geek's site here. It is Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Follow the tutorial to download and burn your disk. It is Linux based and you can boot to it. It also is configured to download the latest definition files when you boot to the CD, so you will be up to date. The advantage to a setup such as this is you can scan your hard drive while Windows is inactive. Malware cannot block it or run from it. It worked really well for me when I used it, so I keep it handy for another day.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-01-22 at 07:31. Reason: forgot to add Kaspersky link

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the great info. Someone else also suggested that I might be "infected". I was able to download and install Spybot search and destroy. It didn't find anything. I also ran the microsoft malware too. I'll try the superantispyware now. I'll check out all the info you supplied. I got an e-mail from MSE Support to e-mail them with info on when I'd be available they are going to call me!!!!!!!!!! I will try for Monday. Thanks, Frank

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Deadeye81, thanks for the reply. I did use the port ver: of SuperAntispyware and will look at the Kaspersky Rescue Disk site. I got an e-mail from MSE support and they are going to call me!!!!!! I am going to take a break from reading bulletins etc. till I talk with them. Hopefully they'll be able to get to cause and I'll post what ever it is. Thank you again frank