iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Using the cloud to guess wireless passphrases

IN THE WILD

Using the cloud to guess wireless passphrases

By Robert Vamosi

Using Amazon's cloud-based servers, a German researcher claims he can
    crack your WPA-PSK wireless network encryption in 20 minutes or less.

The risk is real, but you can take steps to protect yourself.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/01/20/07 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-01-19 at 16:55.

Lounger
    Thanks
    my british bank (Nationwide) insist that I now use Verified by Visa for on-line transactions. it insists that i use a 'strong' password. however, their 'rules' do not allow the use of symbol characters (such as #). the bank claims this is because of VbV's rules, although I cannot find anything at VbV to confirm that.
    neither my bank or VbV have responded positively to me pointing out this shortcoming. if the banks cannot be bothered to adopt best practices, in their efforts to protect themselves from fraud, then it's a very poor show - although given the general approach of banks towards their customers, maybe hardly surprising.
    john galloway, york

3. The Following User Says Thank You to john galloway For This Useful Post:

Browni (2011-01-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My Linksys router offers me "WPA2-Personal", how does this compare to "WPA-PSK" as recommended in the article?

John Inkle

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johninkle View Post
    My Linksys router offers me "WPA2-Personal", how does this compare to "WPA-PSK" as recommended in the article?

John Inkle
    Hi,

WPA2-Personal is WPA-PSK.

Regards

Rui

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

johninkle (2011-01-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john galloway View Post
    my british bank (Nationwide) insist that I now use Verified by Visa for on-line transactions. it insists that i use a 'strong' password. however, their 'rules' do not allow the use of symbol characters (such as #). the bank claims this is because of VbV's rules, although I cannot find anything at VbV to confirm that.
    neither my bank or VbV have responded positively to me pointing out this shortcoming. if the banks cannot be bothered to adopt best practices, in their efforts to protect themselves from fraud, then it's a very poor show - although given the general approach of banks towards their customers, maybe hardly surprising.
    john galloway, york
    "The conventional thinking is that the additional complexity presents such an increased workload for the hacker that complexity is the holy grail of password hacking prevention. After all, conventional wisdom says that all the good Web sites require complexity. Heck, a Microsoft Windows log-on password requires complexity. Every new password policy I read requires complexity -- but gives scant consideration to the equal (or better) importance of longer password length.

They're all wrong! Character-for-character, password length is more important for security than complexity. Requiring complexity but allowing passwords to remain short makes passwords more vulnerable to attack than simply requiring easier-to-remember, longer passwords."

Source: Roger A. Grimes, Infoworld Security Watch. He has updated this article recently, and still stands by his statement. Web reference here .

Your bank is completely correct in their behavior -- you are safer with longer passwords than with more complex passwords.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Using the Cloud to Guess Wireless Passphrases

I am curious why a router would allow a hacker to attempt 400,000 passphrases per second. If it implemented a 0.01-second time-out between attempted connections, that would increase the break-in time from 20 minutes to 22 days. A 1-second time-out would push that to 6 years.
    Perhaps a time-out would create problems for a large commercial service, but wouldn't it be transparent to a home wireless network?
    Nigel