2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Sleep Mode Loses Wireless Connection

In the category of minor annoyances...

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate machine, and use a Linksys WUSB600N USB Network Adapter with Dual-Band Ver 2 to connect to my Linksys Router and have wireless internet.

My laptops have no problem with sleep mode, but whenever my desktop goes to sleep, upon "waking up" it loses its wireless connection, and Windows won't recognize the device. Using the control panel to uninstall and reinstall the adapter doesn't work either. The only solution is to unplug the adapter and then pop it in again. That works every time.

This only occurs with sleep mode. If I turn the computer off and on, or if I do a reboot of the machine, the USB adapter works perfectly - I'm immediately connected to the Internet.

Any thoughts on why my internet connection can't wake up from sleep mode?

Thanks!

John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you checked the advanced power management settings?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On the Power Management tab, make sure "Allow windows to turn this device off..." is selected. Windows will then know to restart the network card when it wakes from Hibernation.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using a UPS? I had a similar problem with a printer getting "lost" on the computer waking from sleep. Turned out the UPS was shot. The battery in it was dead and didn't have enough left to fully wake everything up. New UPS< problem solved! Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to joela44 For This Useful Post:

DannyBoy (2011-01-23)