Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Create DVD Player Video on Computer

My Win 7 computer automatically creates (copies) videos from websites in .AVI format. I want to convert the .AVI video to a format which will play on a standard DVD player, after I burn the new formatted file to a DVD disk. I thought that MPEG-2 was the form that DVD players used, so I converted the .AVI file to MPEG-2 & then burned a DVD disk in MPEG-2. It wouldn't play in my DVD player (Samsung HD-931) ........HELP!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Download Windows Live 2011 and install, at least, Windows Live Movie Maker. Run Movie Maker, add your video, and then choose the option to Save Movie -> Burn a DVD. Windows Movie Maker will output your file as a wmv file and then launch Windows DVD Maker to burn your DVD.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will try this...............Thanks for the rapid reply.

I'm just wondering if a DVD player normally can play a .WMV formatted DVD? The key is what sort of files can a DVD Player can play.
    I know my computer can play .AVI & .WMV files, thus I can burn a .AVI or a .WMV disk & it will play on my computer but that's not the problem.
    I want the video to play on my big screen (61") HDTV via my DVD player.
    Last edited by Seafarer; 2011-01-20 at 09:12.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
    I want the video to play on my big screen (61") HDTV via my DVD player.
    Does your HDTV have a USB port? If so, you could copy the AVI to a USB key and play it from there. That is what I always do.

If not, you need software that converts the AVI into DVD format (with .VOB files and stuff). That is what Movie Maker should do for you. And there are may commerical packages that will do the same (I use Pinnacle Studio).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have NO USB port on my HDTV, but I'm homing in on the answer. I'll try converting the .AVI file to a DVD-video format (MPEG-2 with VOB files) Then I'll burn THAT file to a DVD.
    Thanks for your input.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
    I have NO USB port on my HDTV, but I'm homing in on the answer. I'll try converting the .AVI file to a DVD-video format (MPEG-2 with VOB files) Then I'll burn THAT file to a DVD.
    Thanks for your input.
    Just import your AVI into Windows Live Movie Maker, use the Save option as described above and Movie Maker will make sure everything will work. It will create the DVD with the adequate format to view in a DVD player.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you already have the file you want to burn, you can simply run Windows DVD Maker, import the file and let Windows DVD Maker create the DVD for you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To all,........Thanks many times over. I'll try it & worst case scenario,....I'll end up with a useless DVD or another drink coaster.

Thanks
    Hi, Seafarer-

You may also want to take a look at this article. With DVD Flick you won't have to convert your AVI files first. I believe that it also works with WAV and FLV files, or you can mix them. I have Win 7 64 bit and it works fine for me. I now use Photoshop Premiere Elements, but it's not free, and has a bit of a learning curve. DVD Flick is free and pretty easy to use . You can also add menus to your DVDs.

John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm bowled over by the attention my question has received by members of this group.
    I'm also appreciative to those who've responded.
    My humble thanks to all.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wanted to suggest also looking at DVDStyler which is hosted at SourceForge. I've used DVDStyler to author over 100 DVDs with a variety of input files. The latest version is relatively simple to start, but has the flexibility to allow the user to build complex, multilevel menus for options like chapters, audio options, subtitles, etc. DVDStyler will take the inputs and proceed to generate and burn the DVD automatically, though I tend to stop it after it encodes the inputs then use MKISOFS and IMGBURN to complete the process.

I've tried DVDFlick, but couldn't get beyond the errors to generate a DVD, and at each failure, I had to have DVDFlick start from scratch, which ended up being quite a bit of wasted time.
    PJ in FL

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried DVDFlick & wasted two DVDs until I learned to trust it. It worked great! Your recommended program, DVDStyler is something I will try. Obviously I chose settings that would give me maximum frame rate & max. bitrate (audio & video), & use all available disk space (4.7 gigs), thus guaranteeing best audio & video. DVDFlick had many optional settings I was able to manipulate. Thanks for your input.

Thanks

Ashamoo Burning Studio 2010

At Christmas Ashampoo was offering this and other programs for FREE.

Burning Studio 2010 is a DVD authoring, editing and burning program that could be useful for what you want to do. Don't know if the free downloads will still work, but you have nothing to lose by trying.
    http://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/lpa/c...ft?c=XMAS-2010
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lostwages View Post
    At Christmas Ashampoo was offering this and other programs for FREE.

Burning Studio 2010 is a DVD authoring, editing and burning program that could be useful for what you want to do. Don't know if the free downloads will still work, but you have nothing to lose by trying.
    http://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/lpa/c...ft?c=XMAS-2010
    If you download it, be prepared for an almost daily email on Ashampoo software offers...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    If you download it, be prepared for an almost daily email on Ashampoo software offers...
    He he, boy is THAT true! Whenever I get anything from Ashampoo, I use a fake e-mail generator so that I can delete it later. Most of their products are pretty good, though.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast