New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 networking problem

I have a new problem with Win 7 networking that has popped up in the last week or so. I can't "digital file" with my scanner [can't connect] to my Win 7 laptop and my Windows Home Server plus an old XP box can't access the folder I've shared on the same Win 7 laptop.

Specifically: I have three Win 7 machines, one Home Server, an XP computer, an Ubuntu laptop and the networked scanner. Everything seems to be working fine network wise except the Win 7 laptop can't be "discovered" by the network scanner, the Home Server and the old XP computer.

For example: I can go to either of the other Win 7 computers or the Ubuntu box and access files on the Win 7 laptop shared folder. The Home Server, XP box and network scanner don't know the Win 7 laptop even exists. I can ping the laptop from the Home Server just fine and nightly backups to the Home Server are working fine. I just can't open the shared folder on the laptop from the Home Server.

Everything worked two weeks ago -- it feels like something updated and tightened up my network security on the Win 7 laptop. I installed version 2 of Microsoft Security Essentials about a week ago. I turned off MS Essentials and the firewall on the Win 7 laptop and nothing changed.

Comments?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you checked to see if the workgroup name got changed on the laptop?

Have you checked the network settings to make sure that file sharing and discovery are still enabled?

Have you checked what updates have been installed? Consider uninstalling one or more of the updates.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Workgroups are fine -- the other computers can read and write files on the laptop fine. The network is fine -- I set up one of the other Win 7 computers for scanning and the network scanner scans fine to the other Win 7 computer. I've checked carefully the settings between the two Win 7 computers and they are the same. Network discovery, file sharing, encryption, etc. is all like it should be.

It is just the scanner, the Home Server and XP that can't see the laptop on the network. Everybody else can. The scanner, Home Server and XP can see the other Win 7 machines -- just the laptop is "invisible".

I have not tried to remove any updates. I did turn off the firewall and MS Essentials, but no luck with that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried a system restore on the laptop to a time when all was working ok?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I have not tried a system restore yet. I can also go back a week or so in my Home Server backups. I would like to try to think this one through a bit before going back because updates and whatever else happens automatically will probably just bring the problem back. Scanning to the second computer and copying the scanned files to this computer works, so for the moment, I'm not in a huge hurry to do something...

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks
    Have you tried pinging the IP address of the Windows 7 laptop from the scanner, the Home Server and the XP computer?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pinging works fine in all directions. It is just the older stuff that can't see the laptop. Strange though -- the Home Server makes backups of the laptop just fine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you have Homegroup enabled on the Windows 7 computer? If so, does disabling it help?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Avoiding Homegroup -- trying to keep the configuration simple. None of the Win 7 computers have Homegroup turned on. No Media sharing either.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it! I installed the latest VirtualBox two weeks ago and that is what was making the problems. I see on their forums something about bridging which helped a bit, but did not totally fix the problem. I disabled their VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapter and viola -- everything is working again!

Now I have to sort through what it takes to keep everything working while the VirtualBox adapter is enabled.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you discovered the problem. Thanks for posting back. Good luck with the full solution.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Last comment: I've been testing my system with the VirtualBox host adapter disabled and VirtualBox networking bridged to my physical wireless adapter in the laptop. What I know is the network scanner, Windows Home Server and my XP computers can all find the laptop and read / write files via a shared folder I setup. I checked my Ubuntu installation running in VirtualBox -- it can see the laptop / read / write files too. I checked my XP installation via Windows Virtual PC -- it works too.

None of the above was working with the VirtualBox host adapter enabled.

I seem to be back to 100% on my networking!