New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 PC freezes constantly

I have an Asus mobo A8V-VM-SE with an AMD Opteron x2 165 cpu and 2 Gb recommended ram

Windows 7 just freezes even during DOS prompt SFC /Scanregnow etc

If in Windows I can't even complete a scan.

MS Security Essentials has been installed. Other anti-virus programs have been removed.

Can anyone recommend a fix?

Regards,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    When did it start? Can you boot in safe mode? If so, how does the pc behave in safe mode?

Thanks
    Audio PC, welcome to the Lounge (new and improved they say, who knows)

If you have an up to date Image I would suggest using it to restore, otherwise I would try a repair install, or a full Custom install. It's difficult to determine whether you might be experiencing a software or hardware failure. This could be both. It might even be a virus attack. If there is any chance it is a virus, you might find it is quicker to format the HD and re-install Win 7 from scratch. Once complete, check into Images (see many discussions on Imaging in the Security and Backup forum.) MSE is a very good AV/AM app and I would continue with it once everything is back.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    When did it start? Can you boot in safe mode? If so, how does the pc behave in safe mode?
    I can boot into Safe Mode but the freeze happens there too. Sometimes it will run for an hour then freeze but lately its almost as soon as I see the Windows screen.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Audio PC, welcome to the Lounge (new and improved they say, who knows)

If you have an up to date Image I would suggest using it to restore, otherwise I would try a repair install, or a full Custom install. It's difficult to determine whether you might be experiencing a software or hardware failure. This could be both. It might even be a virus attack. If there is any chance it is a virus, you might find it is quicker to format the HD and re-install Win 7 from scratch. Once complete, check into Images (see many discussions on Imaging in the Security and Backup forum.) MSE is a very good AV/AM app and I would continue with it once everything is back.
    No Image available I'm afraid.

I will try a Repair asap.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If it even happens in Safe mode, I would probably guess that you have an hardware issue. Have you checked motherboard and CPU temperatures? Have you run memtest to check a memory issue?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If it even happens in Safe mode, I would probably guess that you have an hardware issue. Have you checked motherboard and CPU temperatures? Have you run memtest to check a memory issue?
    I have checked the memory recently. No issues there.

Mobo and CPU temps are fine.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioPC View Post
    I have an Asus mobo A8V-VM-SE with an AMD Opteron x2 165 cpu and 2 Gb recommended ram

Windows 7 just freezes even during DOS prompt SFC /Scanregnow etc

Can anyone recommend a fix?

Regards,
    AudioPC,
    Hello... I had a random "Freeze" problem with windows 7 \ 64 a while back... Windows had a fix , but it didn't work .... The fix for me was to recover to a time before i had installed any MS "updates" or "patches" ( i provide my own security Norton2011 and Malwarebytes Pro) and since then all is well... If you want more details post back and i will provide more details.Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Other common causes for random PC freezes are bad fan on the video card and a flaky power supply, If you have a spare video card and/o a spare power supply, try swapping them.

Jerry

Thanks
    I was experiencing the same thing. My laptop would just freeze up randomly. I blew it out with some canned air. Especially the fan area, and havent had a problem since.
    just my $.02 worth
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)