Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot bring Windows up

Hi, hope someone can help.
    After Avast AntiVirus update, I get a blue screen that says:

"STOP: C000021A, Fatal Sys. error.
    The Windows Longon process sys. process terminated unexpectedly with a status of OXC0000135. The system has been shut down".

I tried to reboot three times, tried using F8 to try to get into Safe Mode, but it does not work.

I have a Dell Latitude D520 Laptop. Using Windows XP-SP3.

Thanks so much.

Thanks
    When you tried rebooting your computer, did you tap the F8 button continuously until you get to Windows Advanced Options ? If you can try this again and can access this then choose the last known good configuration and then press enter. This error generally happens when some software or hardware has been installed that is not as per the specifications of the PC. Therefore, after selecting the operating system you want for booting, the C000021a error will have been removed from your system. The following article may help.

Troubleshooting the C000021a Fatal System Error
    Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply MaBelle Michelle
    I did what you suggested, and Windows finally came up but was frozen. I also tried to go to Safe Mode, but that didn't work either. Now, I can bring Windows up but it stays frozen. Nothing comes up on the taskbar at all. There is no way to do a System Restore or a scan?

Thanks
    Do you happen to have the Operating System CD?

Thanks
    IF you do, then you can boot the computer using the CD. You may have to change the boot order in your system BIOS so the CD boots before the HD. In my Dell, as soon as it starts booting, tap the F2 key to access the BIOS just like you did to try to get to Safe Mode. Here I just found this for you

How to Boot from XP CD

Scroll down to #7, but it sounds similar to what you have going on.

Thanks
    Word of caution, the troubleshooting link has ParetoLogic's Regcure linked to as a fix for this problem, scareware, don't use it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replies. However, I think I'll just bring the laptop to Best Buy, who now repairs Dell computers, since my warrantee ran out with Dell. I appreciate all the help one can receive on this site. Everyone is so supportive.

Best regards to all.

Thanks
    If you follow #7 you should be fine. It showed how to access the BIOS and to try a repair that way. I am not advocating the use of any registry links. The major part of the first article explained what was going on with the error messages. My first suggestion was to go into Safe Mode. Since that wasn't achieved, then accessing the BIOS was discussed.
    Last edited by MaBelleMichelle; 2011-01-20 at 17:53.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garilous View Post
    Thanks for replies. However, I think I'll just bring the laptop to Best Buy, who now repairs Dell computers, since my warrantee ran out with Dell. I appreciate all the help one can receive on this site. Everyone is so supportive.

Best regards to all.
    You are very welcome. It's hard to gauge the experience from the limited information. I have both a Dell desktop and laptop and have had no issues accessing the BIOS from basically using the same method, but finding it already in sequence, saved alot of typing. Good luck to you and let us know what helped ok?

Thanks
    Seems like it would be very difficult to run a registry cleaner when one can't even access Safe Mode or the BIOS. I just checked out those 2 links and considering the problem, running Paretologic software is not even on the menu in my humble opinion :-) I hope you figure it out garilous :-)
    Take a sad song and make it better

New Lounger
    Thanks
    learn how to use Ubuntu live CD can get you out of a lot of trouble

Thanks
    Would you care to elaborate on that further?

This user has been Banned
    Thanks

Re: Ubuntu CD

Quote Originally Posted by MaBelleMichelle View Post
    Would you care to elaborate on that further?
    I just pulled my Ubuntu CD out of hiding to see if I can get a coworker's PC going. (Unfortunately he has a hardware problem, but at least I could verify that the OS wasn't the problem.) You boot off the CD - might have to change the boot options via F12 or something like that - and in a few minutes you've got a working PC, running from the CD. Of course it works ten times as slow or worse, but you're WORKING. You can see and copy/delete/edit any files, make sure your hard drive is OK, get on the 'net. If your HD is flaky you can copy stuff off. You can play with partitions, delete viruses.

So, everybody should have a Linux CD ready to pull their bacon out of the fire. Ubuntu is probably the easiest for noobs; not always the best, most elegant, least bloated or simplest. Download it and fool with it to get acquainted. You might get hooked.