Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printers on network W7 and XP

I'll try to explain it as short as possible. I have a Windows XP (32 bit/SP3) desktop to which I have to printers connected, a HP deskjet 840c and a Canon PIXMA 610. They both work fine. I recently purchased a HP laptop with W 7 (64 bit) There is a second laptop with W 7 (32 bit). The network is based on a Belkin wireless router for the two laptops while the desktop is wired through the router. Printing from the W 7 32 bit is no problem at all neither was the installation.

I am trying to connect my W 7 64 bit laptop to the printers but I cannot get it to work. I check everything what is required. Even when I do a "add printer" the laptop sees the two printers but then tells my that it cannot connect to either of them. It asks for an .inf file as the installation set-up but there is none. I googled on the net for a solution but there is none to find. I suppose it has something to do with the XP 32 bit and the W 7 64 bit operaing system, though I found out that both printers are compatible with W 7 64 bit OS.

I wonder whether anyone here has a solution or can explain this odd behavior.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

It's a driver problem

You have a drivers problem. You will need to install a 64 bit driver for your printer in your Windows 7 PC. It can be done this way:

On the Windows 7 machine do the following

1. On Devices and Settings, click add a printer and choose Add a local printer.

2. Choose Create a New port - Choose a Local port

3. Enter \\XPMACHINENAME\SHAREDPRINTERNAME as the Local port

This should force Windows 7 to load a driver and you should be able to print on the XP machine.

HTH

Regards

Rui

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you ruirib, it works and you saved my day. I appreciate this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Glad to know it worked .

Regards

Rui