Thanks

Internet Desktop Icon

Some time back, in Vista, I came across a hack to put the Internet Explorer icon back on the desktop.

I goes like the attached.

But what if I wanted to have it call the 32-bit internet explorer? So I changed the folder of the iexplorer.exe being called to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer", and changed the Internet" to "Internet 32", thinking that should do it.

But it didn't. 'Cause then when I went and ran the "original" -- wanting both the 64 and 32-bit versions available, it just overwrite what I had done, not made a second version.

Being a meddler -- but not a programmer -- I can't figure out what else needs to be done.

I know I *could* just drop shortcuts, but then the right-click doesn't give the Internet Options dialog.

And now I AM curious how this could be "fixed."

Any ideas?

Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Some time back, in Vista, I came across a hack to put the Internet Explorer icon back on the desktop.

Chuck
    Chuck ,
    Hello.....I'm confused.... IE on the "desktop" was part of Vista ...Why would you need to "put it back" with a "hack"? Guess I'm not understanding your question...please clarify. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred, perhaps it was XP. I thought it was Vista when/where they moved IE to the QL bar and removed the quick access to the Internet Properties dialog.

In either case, the entry put it back then, and does now, as explained. What I wanted to get was the 32-bit version on the desktop.

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Chuck,

I believe Vista is the same as Win 7 in that you can open the Start Orb, All Programs, and simply drag the IE shortcuts to the desktop to place them there. When you do this a small tool tip comes up that says copy to desktop. You should be able to do this for both the 32 Bit and 64 Bit Icons.

Remember the 64 Bit IE can not be the default browser, so that if you open IE with anything other than the 64 Bit icon, the 32 Bit version opens (for example from your Favorites or Links)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thakns Ted.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"