4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HP550 Dark Screen when switching it on.

Hi all,

I have a HP 550 Laptop, when I turn it on, the screen is black/dark. I can hear the hard drive DVD #Rom, a I can also see the lights are on, but nothing comes on the screen I cannot even see the bios, i have removed the memory, and battery and pressed the power button between 30second to 1 mintute and then plugged in the power but still the same problems appears, I have also removed the keyboard and made sure that the screen connector is properly inserted but still the same thing, I have run out of ideas and dont know what to try next, I did search google and tried everything that I could found about this problem. Is it possible that the motherboard is gone?
    Many thanks for all your help.

Thanks
    My first suggestion is that this happened with a friend's laptop. So the first order of business was to connect it to an external monitor to see if indeed your monitor was bad or if it was something else. I unhooked my desktop monitor and plugged the 15 pin plug (screws didnt work but it did the job of checking it) and immediately I was viewing the laptop screen on my monitor. So we discovered the monitor wasn't bad. Why don't you try that first?
    Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry I forgot to mention, I have tried that already I tried to connect it to mY HD TV and the screen remains the same.

Thanks
    If you decipher that your monitor does in fact work, then you can always try unplugging the power. Take out the battery and hold down the power button for around 60 seconds. This will release any excess charge built up in the machine. Plug it back in and see if it works. If it does, then put the battery back in.

Sometimes excessive charge stored within the components of the laptop will affect the monitor because the screen uses more power and is most often affected. In this situation there is a fail safe that will stop current going to different parts and being the screen uses more power than anything it is most often affected.

Edit: I know you said you tried this, but I would try it again. There are also known overheating issues with HP laptops which cause the monitors to display black while the rest of the machine seems to be humming along. Have you checked HP forums for support? Is this still in warranty?
    Last edited by MaBelleMichelle; 2011-01-21 at 09:23. Reason: Poster had posted while I was composing

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skender View Post
    Sorry I forgot to mention, I have tried that already I tried to connect it to mY HD TV and the screen remains the same.
    I'd try again connecting a monitor up to the laptop, but this time not a high def TV type monitor.
    A simple but compatible type of monitor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I'd try again connecting a monitor up to the laptop, but this time not a high def TV type monitor.
    A simple but compatible type of monitor.
    Yes, I connected my HP Desktop monitor with a 15 pin adaptor so it plugged into the side of the laptop, but wouldn't screw, but it served the purpose to know that the monitor was indeed not the issue. I also have a 32" HD TV with USB port that can serve as a monitor, but I chose to try the older model first.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have connected the laptop to a computer monitor but nothing happens, the screen is still dark. I have also removed the bios battery and replugged it after a minute again same thing. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    I'm thinking that perhaps the graphics (video) card or MB with built in Video has failed. This might require a major overhaul. Is the laptop worth the expense? Good luck.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    When taking out the bios battery you also have to remove the battery to re-set the bios defaults.

Thanks
    When you connected an external monitor to the laptop, did you hit the correct function key to enable the external display?

Jerry