Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Win-7 32 to 64 bitness.

Hello all.

I had mentioned this before but I do not now find the posts to get the thread going again. Here is what I find. I have an Acer that came home as a 32 bit user of Vista. I upgraded to W-7 32 bit then 64 bit. I had previously upped the RAM to 4 Gs. It was never seen in total, there is still the usual threshold of the usable 3 Gs as in a 32 bit machine. This is the cause of it all, even if the OS is 64-bit, even if the RAM is there, the machine itself is a 32-bit machine, the North and South chips are 32 bit, or so I think. One G is Hardware reserved, meaning that it is not used even if seen by the BIOS and SIW too.

Jeff-ram-3.jpg

See the first 1 G reserved ? So, if my assumptions are right, I am stuck with this, any comment more than welcome. The machine runs fine as it is.

Yesterday, I played around a bit in BIOS and changed the graphic apperture from the standard 64 MBs to 256 and back to 32 but finally settled on the 64 as this is what it wanted as per the "Set best parameters" in BIOS.

This is my lot now, not too bad at that. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2011-01-21 at 10:01. Reason: Typo.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Jean,

With Windows 7 x64 you should see the whole memory available.
    I've seen two recommendations elsewhere, to overcome your situation:

1. Make sure your BIOS is configured to allow memory remapping

2. Run msconfig and in Boot / Advanced Options, uncheck the option to use max memory. This was suggested here.

Probably try 2. first.

Regards

Rui

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, good day to you.

You are in trouble now ! :-) Until I see the full RAM used, I will not let up on you.

2. The max memory is not checked.
    1. I can not remember seeing this in my BIOS. I will go and have a look again. I know that it shows 4096 MBs but the trick is now to have it all being used. Off to BIOS now.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, I siad that I would bug and I do again.

I stated that the BIOS was seeing the full 4 Gs, not so, it shows 3,145,728 KBs. The SIW shows the 4 Gs, and msconfig does too as installed, the 4 Gs.

Now, I am back from BIOS and I could not see anything pertinent except the HPET mode is at 32 and could be toggled to 64, I left it at 32 as I totally ignore what it could do. Let us not drop this, I would really like to see the full 4 Gs used.

Be good.................Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to know what specific Acer model you have. There may be chipset limitations that will prevent the use of the full 4 GB.

Regards

Rui

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, I am at it again. Here are a few .jpg of my system as you wanted to know.

uri-2.jpg

Here is the last one, note the amount of memery stolen by the vidcard :

uri-4.jpg

And another one:

uri-3.jpg

I will redo the machine data, somehow, it is noted as not a .jpg. Back soon. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, here is the main system data :

uri-1.jpg

Thanks

This is a Quote from your manual

Press <F2> (during Post) to enter the Bios utility,then press Exit in the bios utility to reboot.
    I didn't see what brand of mother board you had.Mine is a Gigabyte in the bios of mine in order to use all 8 gig's of memory I have.I went into,Power Management then high lighted HPET Mode change the default from 32 Bit mode to 64 Bit mode.
    I hope this helps you in order to use all of your memory.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Administrator
    Thanks
    Jean,

I couldn't confirm it from a bit of searching, but I have the suspicion that your chipset is a 32 bit chipset. If that is the case, your BIOS won't support memory remapping, which means that you won't be able to use that gigabyte of RAM that you are missing now.

Did you have a look at the BIOS to see if you had any mention of memory remapping?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Jean,

Your chipset supports 4GB RAM only, so I don't think memory remapping will be possible. I am afraid you will be stuck with those 3 GB.

Sorry.

Regards

Rui

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning Rui.

If you go back up to my post here, #1, this is what I had searched for and found in a technical post, the machine is a 32 bit machine and going to 4 G and W-7 in 64 bitness will not remove this block, the N & S bridges are there for keeps. I can live with this, the machine performs well, I only tried this improvement as a "study", just to see if I could do it. I would have been delighted if it had gone to completion, no harm done. I thank you for your attention.

Be good..............Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Jean,

You were right. I didn't read your first with as much attention as I should.

Regards

Rui

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If the machine is a 32-bit machine only you can NOT install a 64-bit OS.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    If the machine is a 32-bit machine only you can NOT install a 64-bit OS.

Joe
    The chipset does support 64 bit processors, but it can only handle 4 GB of RAM. It's a SIS 672 chipset.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, good cold morning.

I would like all to be aware that installing a 64-bit capable OS is not the panacea that is balayooed all over. Sure it will install on a 32 bit machine but not fully to be worth the while. See my thread about 32 to 64 bitness here. The machine that I attempted this on is limited to 32-bitness as some of the bits and parcels in it are only 32-bit capable, thus my machine will never fully use the 64 bit OS. I am toying with a "go back" to 32 bits. Full install, of course !

Be good. . . . . Jean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast