Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 freezes: kicks all other PCs off network

Hi,

I've turned here after searching the internet extensively for anyone who might have a clue whats going on.

I have an Intel i5-750 on an Intel motherboard with 4gb corsair ram. Periodically and randomly the Win7 machine freezes. No messages, no symptoms leading up to it, nothing. I've monitored temperatures, run memory tests and even swapped the hard drive out and reloaded the OS fresh 3 times. Still no joy.

The only clue that I have is that when it does freeze, 2 other machines lose connectivity on the LAN. I have a Server 2003 machine as my DNS and have not changed anything on the network other than this one machine. When I had XP Pro everything ran fine, and since I run Win7 at home connected with a WHS, I don't think it's win 7. I'm leaning toward a hardware issue.

I'm thinking it just might be the integrated LAN on my motherboard. I tried updating the drivers for the LAN, but it still freezes. Then I tried un-plugging this machine from the LAN overnight and it didn't freeze! And, it usually freezes at some point every night. So I was thinking I might try a separate LAN card and disable the on-board LAN?

Hopefully someone has some insight into what I might try?

Thanks,
    Randal

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It seems you quite likely found cause of the problem. Did you try it more than once? Does it freeze while you are not using the PC?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did not try unplugging the LAN cord more than once as I'm usually trying to flee the office at the end of day but will try again several times to be sure.

It will freeze whether I'm using the PC or not. Never freezes at the same time or point of operation. Never freezes when specific programs are open. Will freeze at the log-in screen just as much as when logged in.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I would either unplug it or even disable the network adapter for a reasonable amount of time, just to be sure it's the network adapter causing it.
    What specific motherboard are you using?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The motherboard is a DP55SB. I will try disabling the on-board LAN over the weekend and see if it still freezes.

I know that when this machine is disconnected from the LAN (either off or unplugged), the rest of the network runs flawlessly.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, let us know how it goes then.

It doesn't seem like there are general issues with this motherboard, so if it is a problem with the card, must be your card.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    UPDATE -

Well, I disabled the LAN (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections) over the weekend. When I came in Monday, PC was operating fine. Just to make sure, I disabled the LAN again last night and when I came in this a.m. the PC was still up and operating without a problem. So, with these 2 tests I have established that the freezing problem has something to do with the network adapter. Since it's on-board I'll try picking up a card at my local Best Buy and see if that makes a difference.

The bigger question is why the problem would exist in the first place; ie: the network runs fine 95% or the time and then all of a sudden freezes. What would be causing this particular behavior with a LAN adapter? I think I'll send Intel an email and see what they think.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How are they networked? Are they connected to a Switch and just running as a simple peer-to-peer network or do you have some sort of server.

If it is just the former, have you tried swapping around the Switch ports to see if the problem moves or changes?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 5 machines connected on a domain all connected through a switch. There are 3-Win2k, 1-WinXP Pro SP2, 1-Win7 connected through a switch.

Like I mentioned before though, there was never a problem when I had a WinXP Pro machine in this office. It only started when I installed the Win7 machine. But, what the hay. I'll try switching the position on the switch. ;-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    It will be interesting to see if the switch has any influence over it.

Thanks
    Have you checked your BIOS settings for LAN-specific tasks (Wake on LAN, etc.)?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a very similar random Win7 freezing problem that bugged me for months.

the problem in my case turned out to be using Zone alarm pro firewall (not security) in combination with Microsoft Security Essentials.

uninstalled ZAP, reverted to windows firewall, no more freezes.

... just in case you, or anyone else has a similar problem.

Vern

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The only LAN tasks available in the BIOS were enable/disable and Wake on LAN. I disabled wake on LAN and I'll see if that makes a difference.

The hardest part in this type of detective work is that I have to wait at least 24-48 hours to see if a single change has made the difference. I'll go through days where it won't freeze at all, and then I'll have periods where it freezes 2-3 times in an 8 hour period!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Vern,

I'll look into the firewall bit. I am using MSE in conjunction with Symantec Endpoint Protection on the Domain. But, this is how I had it with WinXP Pro before with no issues. Then again, this is Win7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the switch has any influence over it.
    Ok, heres the latest.

I tried changing the position on the switch.....absolutely no difference.

I had to wait a week to get a network card from New Egg since no one local had PCI-e 1x cards! Everything in the local store caters to wireless!

I installed the card yesterday and so far have had no problems with freezing.

That said though; when I disabled my internal LAN 2 days ago through the Windows interface, it still froze at some point during the night! So I'm really hoping that this add-in card will correct things, since the internal LAN gets disabled at the BIOS level instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast