2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Headings in Word 2010

Can somebody please help me figure out how to get back to the heading style types I used in Word 2003? All I want to do is have each level of heading numbered (1.0, 1.1, 1.1.1, etc.) and change automatically when I add new sections (so that 2.0 would be followed by 2.1, 2.2.1, etc.) I've figured out how to get the first level heading to be 1.0, 2.0, etc, but I can't get the sub-headings to work because I'm not seeing outline numbering as an option when I try to Modify. I'm so frustrated!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The location of the settings for outline numbering (now called multilevel lists) was 'helpfully' moved starting in Word 2007 - to get to them:

With your cursor in a Heading 1 paragraph, look on the Home tab of the Ribbon, at the top of the 'Paragraph' group - the third small button from the left is for multilevel lists. Click on that, and then on 'Define new multilevel list'. That will take you to the familiar dialog for outline numbering. (I'm currently on a Word 2007 machine, but am pretty sure it's the same in Word 2010).

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much! I may never have found it hidden away up there. Whoever designed this new "improved" Word obviously never had to work in the real world.