New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 PC can't print

I have an HP LaserJet CP1518ni printer hooked up via USB to my XP machine. I have shared the printer on the XP machine and then added it (via local port) on the Win7 machine. The Win7 machine was able to print for a while. Then suddenly it can no longer print to the printer?

I tried hooking up the printer directly to the Win7 machine and it prints fine.

I tried adding a PORT on the XP machine and printing via a local port on the Win7 machine to no avail.

I tried to make them the same HOMEGROUP but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Windows XP can not join a Homegroup. The PCs need to be in the same Workgroup.

Joe

Thanks
    Have you tried adding the printer to the Windows 7 machine as a local printer, but using the network address as the printer's name?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Here's a link that will help;http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246...-to-windows-7/ If by chance that doesn't work for you just type in some different wording in the search box.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Windows XP can not join a Homegroup. The PCs need to be in the same Workgroup.

Joe
    Sorry - I mispoke. Yes both machines are members of the same Workgroup.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chowur View Post
    Here's a link that will help;http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246...-to-windows-7/ If by chance that doesn't work for you just type in some different wording in the search box.
    I had used the basic method described in the howtogeek website to get it to work before.
    Then yesterday, I suddenly could not print from the Win7 machine anymore. It just stopped working.
    Now trying to add the printer using the same method fails to allow me to print on the Win7 machine.

Any ideas?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chowur View Post
    I had used the basic method described in the howtogeek website to get it to work before.
    Then yesterday, I suddenly could not print from the Win7 machine anymore. It just stopped working.
    Now trying to add the printer using the same method fails to allow me to print on the Win7 machine.

Any ideas?