2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Logical Drive

I have been running a USB external drive off my system for many months. It was divided into two partitions, each of which was identified as a logical drive (F:\ and G:\). F: is still alive and well, but the remaining space is now seen as "unallocated". Is there any way of resetting this to be "G:" and preserve any data that may still be there? (I do have a backup, but prefer to regard this as plan B)

Peter

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Plan B is easiest.
    Windows has forgotten the details of G:, possibly as a result of data corruption on the disk. You could attempt to recover the data with one of the many tools available, but that may upset the data on F:. I would make sure you have a backup of F: as well and re-create the USB disks from scratch.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    Thanks for reply - however could you please instance "one of the many tools available". The data on F is replaceable easily, so risk to it is not a factor. Also whilst a copy operation should be risk free, I have known it go wrong (e.g. operator error copying in the wrong direction) so I don't want to put the backup for the G:'s data - which is now my single thread for this info - to any risk whatsoever.

Peter