Thread: Memtest results

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Memtest results

Hi all. I've run Memtest86 v2.11 off a Ubuntu Live CD and it's found some issues with my memory. The main problem, though, is that I don't know how to tell which chip is having issues based on the info. The mobo supports four chips and all slots are being used. How can you tell which chip is the bad one, or if there is more than one bad one? Or do I have to remove all chips, install one and then run Memtest against that one, and once the tests are done start over with a new chip, etc.?

Thanks
    Test the RAM sticks in pairs, at least 7 runs (or until an error if sooner) of memtest per pair. Once you have the bad pair, remove one and repeat - some RAM will only work in pairs though.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before testing the chips one at a time or even a pair at a time I decided to remove them all and install a pair that is working fine in another computer to see what would happen. That computer has been running fine so I assumed if this computer still had problems even with this other RAM then the problem must be elsewhere. Here's the scenario:

The PC having issues turns on and boots into Windows fine, but then anywhere from five minutes to fifteen minutes it just completely locks up. This all started happening out of nowhere about one week ago. That's why I decided to begin testing the RAM. I realize that it could be an overheating issue as well, and it could be a mobo problem, too. I'm not sure what else it could be.

So here's what happened. I swapped the RAM with the PC that is working perfectly fine and has been for forever (and yes, the RAM is completely compatible - both PC's use DDR-400 or PC3200 RAM chips) and after getting into Windows the PC locked up about five minutes later. I can't say the RAM is the issue any longer. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Thanks
    Just because both sets of RAM are the same PC#, doesn't mean that they're compatible with the motherboard; RAM is one of the more difficult things to get 100% compatibility with.

It could be that one of the RAM slots is broken, you'll not know for sure until you test fully.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    More news. I decided to run Memtest against the RAM I installed in the system that has been working just fine in another system and guess what? Memtest has found errors with this RAM as well. What the heck does that mean? This RAM has been in another PC and everything has been running and working fine with this RAM for months, maybe even years. I'm confused.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow, I was kinda wondering about that - the RAM slots. How would you recommend I test for that problem?

Thanks
    If you return and run the tests as suggested in my initial reply, you may be able to get this sorted out; it's no good randomly switching over components from other machines.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I'll test each pair and get back to you. Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI, I downloaded the latest version of Memtest86+ and am testing each chip, one at a time, in each slot to see what happens. In the first slot each chip started throwing out errors as soon as test 7 began. I just finished Memtest on the first chip in the second slot and had the same problem. I'm guessing this is going to happen in every slot so I'm really thinking the mobo needs to be replaced, but we'll see what the tests bring out. Each round takes about 9 minutes to hit test 7 and start throwing out errors so I have a little bit of time left before I'll be comlpetely through it all.