New Lounger
    Thanks

multyboot problem

I have installed on my PC w7 enterprise and xp pro sp3
    After running w7 repair installation the xp disappeared from the boot menu and I cant boot into it

Thanks
    You need to edit the BCD store to include XP as a boot option.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Get EastBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1). It simplifies editing your Win 7 boot menu.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zikmoshe View Post
    I have installed on my PC w7 enterprise and xp pro sp3
    After running w7 repair installation the xp disappeared from the boot menu and I cant boot into it
    zikmoshe,
    Hello.. and welcome to the "new lounge" I hope you will find this "place" a useful store of knowledge... First, can you find the "XP" drive (is it shown ) when you run ...Computer Management> Disk management ? Or when you "right click" computer, Then click on "properties" >Advanced system settings>Startup and Recovery> settings ... Can you see "XP" in the "drop down" ? Regards Fred

PS: if the answer is no to the above Assign a drive letter to "XP" when in Disk management
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cafed00d View Post
    Get EastBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1). It simplifies editing your Win 7 boot menu.
    I did but trying to boot to XP I get a screen saying that I should run the repair, an than "file: /NST/ntlr
    status 0xcoooooof"
    "info:The app. entry could not be loaded because the app. is missing or corrupt"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did but trying to boot to XP I get a screen saying that I should run the repair, an than "file: /NST/ntlr
    status 0xcoooooof"
    "info:The app. entry could not be loaded because the app. is missing or corrupt"
    Hmm, I think that we need to detailed info about your setup, specifically what dhard drives you have and how they are partitioned. Boot into Win 7. You can find that information in Disk Manager (Computer | Manage | Storage). Posting a window shot would help (ALT-PrtScn will capture just the active window).

Also, for the partition that contains XP, list the files in the root directory. You can do this using the dir command from a command prompt. For example, while booted in Win 7, if your XP partition is drive D:, then enter "dir d:\". Post the output from the command (copy and paste the text, don't do a screen shot).

New Lounger
    Thanks

multyboot

Hmm, I think that we need to detailed info about your setup, specifically what dhard drives you have and how they are partitioned. Boot into Win 7. You can find that information in Disk Manager (Computer | Manage | Storage). Posting a window shot would help (ALT-PrtScn will capture just the active window).

Also, for the partition that contains XP, list the files in the root directory. You can do this using the dir command from a command prompt. For example, while booted in Win 7, if your XP partition is drive D:, then enter "dir d:\". Post the output from the command (copy and paste the text, don't do a screen shot).
    Hi
    Attached are the files you asked
    As you see , there are more than one from each OS, but it used to work fine

Thnx
    Last edited by zikmoshe; 2011-01-25 at 10:05.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Attached are the files you asked
    I do not see any attached files.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    zikmoshe,
    Hello.. and welcome to the "new lounge" I hope you will find this "place" a useful store of knowledge... First, can you find the "XP" drive (is it shown ) when you run ...Computer Management> Disk management ? Or when you "right click" computer, Then click on "properties" >Advanced system settings>Startup and Recovery> settings ... Can you see "XP" in the "drop down" ? Regards Fred

PS: if the answer is no to the above Assign a drive letter to "XP" when in Disk management
    Sorry
    the xp partions are e and g,I used to be able to log to them ( 2 separate installations)
    Last edited by zikmoshe; 2011-01-26 at 05:51.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not see any attached files.
    Included (I hope) are the attachments
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry
    the xp partions are e and g,I used to be able to log to them ( 2 separate installations)
    zikmoshe,
    Hello... looks like some how your "e" & "g" partitions have been switched to "logical " instead of "primary" partitions . My "logical" partitions are not boot-able only "data". Did you switch them? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    zikmoshe,
    Hello... looks like some how your "e" & "g" partitions have been switched to "logical " instead of "primary" partitions . My "logical" partitions are not boot-able only "data".
    Logical drives are indeed bootable. The Windows 7 I'm using to post this response is booting from a logical drive on an extended partition.

The BCD store needs to be edited to point to the XP installation(s) as a boot option.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]Logical drives are indeed bootable.
    bbearren,
    Hello... On my OS's when looking at the windows "boot options drop down" (startup and recovery>Default operating system) ...no logical drives show up only "primary" are listed in the options.... please explain.
    Regards Fred

PS: this i guess is my confusion...http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...logical-drives
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-01-26 at 20:48.
    PlainFred

Thanks

What's bootable?

The information in that link is very dated. The BCD store can boot Windows 7 from any partition/logical drive that it can "see".

On this particular laptop, I dual boot XP and Windows 7. I have XP installed on a 10GB primary partition, the first partition on this hard drive. I have one other primary partition, an 8MB partition for BootIt Next Generation (which I use primarily for drive imaging) and the rest of the drive is an extended partition with multiple logical drives.

I installed Windows 7 in a 35GB logical drive in that extended partition. The BCD store "sees" the logical drive as a partition, and boots to it with no problem.

I also have a Windows 7 Recovery Disk in another logical drive, and I can boot to that as well whenever I want to tinker from outside the Windows 7 environment, rather than using the Recovery CD; it runs much quicker from the hard drive.

XP will also boot from a logical drive, as well as Windows 2000 Pro. I've been using extended partitions with multiple logical drives for years.

Unleash Windows