2 Star Lounger
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma

Conditional formatting (Excel 2003 & 2007)

In my current assignment I contact individuals and inform them of money they owe my employer and how they can meet their obligation w/o further contact or penalty. After 10 business days, if the contact has not taken steps to address the delinquency I take the matter to the next level.

I have a worksheet on which I track the work related contacts. I would like the worksheet to fill contact specific cells (all in a row for the contact) with a specific color when I've conducted my initial contact, and then to flash (blink, if you will) if/when the follow-up date is reached or past. Additionally, once my employer informs me the matter has been addressed/resolved I'd like the worksheet to fill those same rows with a different color. I have looked in the Excel help resource and could not find anything about having a certain cell, or row of cells, flash.

I'd also like to know if there is a way to have the worksheet calculate the 10 business days (that is, not counting weekends and holidays) to trigger the above conditional formatting.

I listed Excel 2003 & 2007 in the thread title because I use 2007 at home and my office uses 2003 (I believe). I have found that some cell formatting I've tried at home is not always backward compatible.

Also, if it makes any difference, I have recently "gone Mac" so my Excel program is run on a Parallels Desktop virtual machine I installed on my Mac (because, despite all the hype, Pages and Excel, while pretty similar, have formatting quirks one will use and the other will/can not. I am considering getting the Mac version of MS Office but it does not include ACCESS, which I need at least at this juncture, until I find an Access compatible substitute (separate post in the Mac OS section of WOPR).

Thanks for your time.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    I do not recommend flashing. It is annoying and can be dangerous to people prone to seizures. It is also a waste of resources and will disable the UNDO feature. If you still are interested you can look at the thread starting at for some ideas

5 Star Lounger
    East Coast, USA
    Here is an example without flashing. Would this get you started?

It computes Workdays, Holidays, etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files