5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BIOS Keyboard Failure message

Hello Loungers - Getting a "Keyboard failure" message on boot up.
    USB Keyboard and USB mouse do not work.
    Is booting into BIOS not an option without a working keyboard?
    On boot up, I see the "Keyboard Failure" message (there are no failure "beep" sounds) but system continues to boot to Win XP Pro. Once at XP users screen, keyboard and mouse still do not work.

Both the keyboard and mouse work fine on a different PC.

System is a Dell Dimension 9150 with 2GB RAM, 5 rear USB ports, 2 front USB ports, there is no PS2 port to try a PS2 keyboard.

Have tried shutting off, removing power cable, press power button to drain power, then restart.

Have tried removing all USB cables and network RJ45 cable and then try just the keyboard in each of the USB ports.

It seems that there must be a way to re-set the USB ports to get them working again.

If at all possible, I really don't want to try clear CMOS jumper (RTCRST) nor do I want to remove CMOS battery.

Any ideas are welcome

Thanks,
    Tim

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You may have a dead USB controller chip. The only option I can think of is to add a USB card and plug the keyboard into that, but loading the drivers may be tricky.
    Do you have another computer on the network that you can use to connect to the unwell computer using Remote Desktop?

cheers, Paul

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2011-01-23),tfspry (2011-01-23)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure that in BIOS the legacy USB option is enabled.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You may have a dead USB controller chip. The only option I can think of is to add a USB card and plug the keyboard into that, but loading the drivers may be tricky.
    Do you have another computer on the network that you can use to connect to the unwell computer using Remote Desktop?

cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul - Thanks for the reminder about drivers for a USB card. I ordered a PCI 4-Port USB card which will use native XP drivers. New card should be here in a couple of days.

I have 3 other PC's/laptop on the network. Not sure if I will be able to use Remote Desktop if the "unwell" computer does not already have Remote Desktop set to "Allow" remote connections. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
    Tim

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can edit the registry of the remote machine over the network and turn on remote access - assuming Windows firewall allows the connection.
    Instructions

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Installed the new PCI card - keyboard, mouse, and printer are now working fine.

Still can't get into BIOS - shows "keybaord failure" message on boot up.

None of the original Intel USB ports are working. I don't understand why Win XP Device Manager is not showing any errors for any of the USB controllers/devices? All report "device is working properly".
    pic attached ......
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The USB controller is talking to Windows but there is a problem with the comms outside the box. This is expected for the failure you report.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The USB controller is talking to Windows but there is a problem with the comms outside the box. This is expected for the failure you report.

cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul - What do you mean by "problem with the comms outside the box" ?

Thanks,
    Tim

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The USB controller is on the motherboard and it is talking to the system. The USB controller sends data via wires to the USB connector. If the USB controller section that sends the data has died or a wire is broken, no comms outside the box.

cheers, Paul