Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Simplifying Windows Explorer

    I've got the Start Menu the way I want it with Classic Shell, but Windows Explorer isn't behaving the way I want it to.

    I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) and less is better for me.

    When I first upgraded to Win7 about six months ago, I was able to clear out the items I didn't want in Windows Explorer, but some have come back, others have added themselves and some stubbornly resist removal.

    App Data and Application data (outlined in yellow below) are already in the folder list when opening Windows 7 Ultimate (C) in the Computer folder weren't originally in the Owner folder and aren't needed in that section - but I fear that if I try to delete them from there, I'll also be deleting those folders in C:.

    Recent (outlined in pink) doesn't have a delete button in right-click. I changed the registry entry, but it still wants to stay.

    WinExpl Win7.jpg

    Does anyone know to how fix these?

    joro
    (37 years in computers and still trying to figure it out)

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    The folders specified are all Windows System folders who's actual location is the C drive. Windows explorer in Win 7 just gives another view of these folders in the owner (users name) folder. These should not be deleted. If you do successfully delete them in the owner folder you will delete them in the C drive and this would cause major problems in your OS as these are the folders that many apps store configuration settings and data. The Owner folder listed like this is the way Win 7 attempts to make it easier for the average person to find things in Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

    joro (2011-01-23)

  4. #3
    Super Moderator Deadeye81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,654
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 113 Times in 97 Posts
    Joro, the files you refer to are hidden by default in Windows 7. Files are hidden to guard against potential damage to the system. It would be best to go to Folder Options and disable the viewing of hidden files/folders and hidden OS system files.
    Deadeye81

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

    joro (2011-01-23)

  6. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Columbia MD
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Easier for an average person, maybe but execrable for someone with tech skills, and there is no way to switch to something usable other than buy a 3d party substitute. The more they improve they more MS destroys.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philmarcus For This Useful Post:

    Goda Fusob (2011-09-18),joro (2011-01-23)

  8. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    The folders specified are all Windows System folders who's actual location is the C drive. Windows explorer in Win 7 just gives another view of these folders in the owner (users name) folder. These should not be deleted. If you do successfully delete them in the owner folder you will delete them in the C drive and this would cause major problems in your OS as these are the folders that many apps store configuration settings and data. The Owner folder listed like this is the way Win 7 attempts to make it easier for the average person to find things in Win 7.
    That's what I as concerned about. But some of us are not the average person, and I'd like to hide the folders without hiding the system files.

    Thanks very much for your reply.

  9. #6
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    Joro, the files you refer to are hidden by default in Windows 7. Files are hidden to guard against potential damage to the system. It would be best to go to Folder Options and disable the viewing of hidden files/folders and hidden OS system files.
    Thanks for your help.

    I've been un-hiding the OS files ever since Windows allowed that. But I want to hide the folders I mentioned and not the system files. Unfortunately, the Folder Options puts the files and the folders together in a single option.

  10. #7
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by philmarcus View Post
    Easier for an average person, maybe but execrable for someone with tech skills, and there is no way to switch to something usable other than buy a 3d party substitute. The more they improve they more MS destroys.
    I was on the original testing team for Windows (v 0.9) nearly 40 years ago. It started out so simple and then kept getting more complicated with every new revision. I have to admit I enjoy using Windows 7, but I, too, wish they would make a version for those of us who may be a little more technically inclined than the 'average' user.

    You mentioned a 'third party substitute'. Do you know of one that allows me to hide the folders I've mentioned, but still lets me keep the system files visible?

    Thanks.

  11. #8
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joro View Post
    I was on the original testing team for Windows (v 0.9) nearly 40 years ago. It started out so simple and then kept getting more complicated with every new revision. I have to admit I enjoy using Windows 7, but I, too, wish they would make a version for those of us who may be a little more technically inclined than the 'average' user.

    You mentioned a 'third party substitute'. Do you know of one that allows me to hide the folders I've mentioned, but still lets me keep the system files visible?

    Thanks.
    Here is a Google Search that shows some alternatives. I do not use any so can't give an opinion of there usage, sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •