Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP to Win7 upgrade question

I bought a copy of the 3-pc family pack to install on a windows xp pc with an 80gb "C" drive and a 300GB "D" drive that is the secondary. Now, my spouse wants to make the larger drive the primary drive and the smaller drive the secondary drive which is a bit of a dilemma because I only have the upgrade media.

I realize I will have to install XP to the larger drive so that there is a licensed copy of Windows on the drive so I can use the upgrade media to upgrade to Win7. My question is how extensive does that win XP install have to be? Service packs, updates or just the bare minimum. TIA

Diane

Thanks
    Leave your drives as they are, just use it for installed programs, anything you download and want to save, put it on D:, copy it as a backup to an external hdd. Now when you learn how to backup your system (C: Drive) only, your backups will be much smaller and done faster.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You are better off loading Windows on the smaller drive and then moving all of your data to the larger drive. Keeping data separate from the operating system makes backup simpler and recovery without data loss easy.
    There are a few discussions on moving your data in W7.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help...this does simplify the process.

D.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PeachesP,

In general, the OS should go on the NEWER (usually, faster) drive. There's no need to install XP - you just have to have the disc in your possession. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE - see this link, which has worked fine for me on 3 different computers, and REALLY clean things up...

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...ade-media.aspx

Zig

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is exactly the case here and why we wanted to switch the drives. The secondary hard drive is the newer, faster and IMO the more reliable of the two and has seen little use, but for storage.

Now, I am totally confused. I have read about use of the upgrade media and concluded it was necessary to have an OS installed to use the 3-PC pack, that's why I asked the question about how much of an install does the XP install have to be..it wouldn't take all that long if it was a minimal install on a clean drive that I've now formatted. I read the article that you referred to. I do have the XP disk in my possession. If I tell him this, I may be at it a while. ;-)

D.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP View Post
    That is exactly the case here and why we wanted to switch the drives. The secondary hard drive is the newer, faster and IMO the more reliable of the two and has seen little use, but for storage.

Now, I am totally confused. I have read about use of the upgrade media and concluded it was necessary to have an OS installed to use the 3-PC pack, that's why I asked the question about how much of an install does the XP install have to be..it wouldn't take all that long if it was a minimal install on a clean drive that I've now formatted. I read the article that you referred to. I do have the XP disk in my possession. If I tell him this, I may be at it a while. ;-)

D.
    Can you post an image of your PC Disk set up. Like this.

Attachment 27220

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's an image of our setup. Excuse the quality, but I'm working with an old monitor and a PC that I've uninstalled most of the unnecessary software. The setup is pretty straightforward and both drives are healthy with little or nothing on them.xp pc.JPG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP View Post
    Here's an image of our setup. Excuse the quality, but I'm working with an old monitor and a PC that I've uninstalled most of the unnecessary software. The setup is pretty straightforward and both drives are healthy with little or nothing on them.xp pc.JPG
    Well done, Just leave things as they are, your set-up is good.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To take a picture of the current program window:
    1. Press Ctrl and PrintScreen.
    2. Open Paint.
    3. Paste.
    4. Save as JPEG.
    5. Upload.

cheers, Paul

p.s. A nice empty old disk and lots of memory will be just as good as a shiny new large disk.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know...but am embarrassed to say, it never entered my mind to do the PrSc thing. I had the digital camera out taking pics of the BIOS screens on a laptop and snapped one of the Disk Mgt screen.

Thanks for answering. Have a great day

Diane

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In general, I still feel the OS should go on the faster drive (or a partition on it). The speed difference may be small, however, considering the difference in size of the drives (unless partitioned). In any event there's nothing to lose by trying the "bare install" method; if it doesn't work, you can always fall back on the plain vanilla method, using your XP disk (not installed).

Zig

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    To take a picture of the current program window:
    1. Press Ctrl and PrintScreen.
    2. Open Paint.
    3. Paste.
    4. Save as JPEG.
    5. Upload.

cheers, Paul

p.s. A nice empty old disk and lots of memory will be just as good as a shiny new large disk.
    Paul, on my PC I do not need to press Ctrl, just the Prt Sc button. Perhaps I have another setting that allows the one button rather than 2, although for the life of me I do not know what.

Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    In general, I still feel the OS should go on the faster drive (or a partition on it). The speed difference may be small, however, considering the difference in size of the drives (unless partitioned). In any event there's nothing to lose by trying the "bare install" method; if it doesn't work, you can always fall back on the plain vanilla method, using your XP disk (not installed).

Zig
    Zig, I agree the OS should be on the fastest drive. The 80 GB drive that presently holds the C Drive is an ideal location for the new OS. I have my 320 GB HD partitioned as 75 GB C Drive and the remaining approx. 223 GB as D Drive (data). This size drive for the OS and apps works great, On my 75 GB C Drive (which contains Win 7, Office 2010 Pro complete install, and more apps than I care to name) I have 50 GB free, plenty for any maintenance items and more apps,
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-01-25 at 06:24.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    Now we're on the same page; since the larger disk is newer and faster, it makes sense to install the OS on it. The larger disk size may result in longer seek times, though, so I would install into a partition on that drive. 70-80GB seems a good size, and I also would move the swap file to a partition on the other disk for additional speed. I additionally install as many of my programs as possible to a separate partition, but this is largely a matter of personal preference & habit.

Zig

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 (or any other OS) Upgrades

Whenever I upgrade an operating system I ALWAYS instal a new hard disk first, make it the boot disk in the case of desktop, and instal the new OS on it.

The old hard disk can:

* be left in a desktop as a secondary disk that contains all your data and the old OS as a backup in case the new hard disk/OS installation fails - just make take out the failed new Hard disk and make the old one the primary boot disk again and you're in business again with a known working system.

* for a laptop, replace the hard disk and instal the new OS, and buy a USB box for the old hard disk - you then have a full back of your old OS and data that can be reinstalled in your laptop should the new hard disk/OS installation fail.

Once the new OS is installed, instal all those favourite (and not so favourite but essential) applications and copy your data from the old hard disk to the new one. AND resist the temptation to put new data on the old hard disk - keep it as a pristine backup of your computer from immediately before the OS upgrade.

With hard disks relatively cheap these days, this is a very cheap method of system backup should you need to revert to a known good system.

All in the interests of safe computing and data security.

Cheers

BygAuldByrd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast