New Lounger
    Thanks

WinXP SP3 - Win Explore can't see usb devices

Greetings from New Jersey.(not far from Asbury Park)
    Thinkpad T42 - WinXP SP3
    I noticed recently that I am unable to view data on a Corsair thumb drive, Droid phone and Kindle 2 device through USB ports.
    I also obtained a PCMCIA card with usb ports to see if this was a hardware issue.
    Conditions did not change -
    I am still able to use usb hub to share keyboard, mouse and external monitor.
    Also - at least with the Corsair - I'm able to map the drive through Disk Manager and then see it on the command line and acces files through DOS commands.
    Any ideas?
    These devices work on a Dell XPS vintage 2005 machine that also runs Win XP SP3.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    1) unplug all USB devices except for mouse and keyboard
    2) delete the file windows\inf\INFCACHE.1
    3) restart Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.
    I tried this and the devices still fail to show on Windows explorer.
    Can't figure this one out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you used TweakUI from Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP to check hidden disk drives?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again - I tried TweakUI as well with no luck - all the drives were checked.
    I'm contemplating a Windows XP reinstall.
    The only thing I can think of as a cause of this problem is an HP Simple Save device that I installed and then uninstalled.
    I'm going to re-install that device and see what effect it has on the situation.
    I think it must be a Windows Explorer issue - once I assigned a drive letter to Corsair thumb drive through Disk Manager - I was able to access it through Word2007 as well as through DOS command line.

Assuming I get this fixed - I'll report back with method and results.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

I haven't made much progress with this problem. I've been too busy with snow removal and actual gainful employment.
    On Sunday I tried running a backup with an HP SimpleSave device plugged into a usb port - guess what? - no problem. I was hoping that this would also fix my usb problem - thinking that maybe the install process for the Simpl Save device might have caused the problem to start with - wishful thinking.

At this point, I'm ready to do some level of Windows XP re-install. I'll think I'll try the non-destructive variety referred to in other sections of this forum.
    I can'tthink of any other solution.