Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error 2711 (Win 98 SE)

I just tried to download a security patch for Excel 2K from Microsoft recommended on Woody's Office Watch. When I tried to run it I got " Error 2711: contact product support." I also got this error when I tried to run Detect & Repair in Word 2k. So does anyone know what this is about? HELP - I don't know where or how to find the right article in MS's Knowledge Base; i.e. if there is one! Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error 2711 (Win 98 SE)

Q229678 : OFF2000: Listing of Windows Installer Errors (2000-2999)
    "2711 The specified Feature name ('[2]') not found in Feature Table."

If it hels you...
    http://www.epinions.com/content_23127101060
    "Everytime I ran the startup.exe program, I got an error 2711, saying to please contact the technical support department. Personally I'd rather just go look through the FAQs to find the answer.

The answer - If you get this error it is because Office needs the Windows Installer to be able to install Office. To fix that, open your D: drive (the one with the Office CD in it), double-click the MSI folder, double-click the INSTMSI.exe file. This will install the Microsoft Installer. Now the Setup.exe should work. "

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error 2711 (Win 98 SE)

Thank you. I was able to resolve the problem by removing some programs I recently downloaded which I wasn't actually using. Apparently they were interfering with my O2k. I removed them then did Detect and Repair. So the Installer was "installed" with the Detect and Repair. After that I didn't get the error and was able to download the security patch. I'm glad to know what it means though. Thanks.