4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows not genuine

Hi all,

One of my friends is getting the non genuine windows message for windows 7, He wants to buy the license through the microsoft website(redirected for non genuine users) but I juts wanted to know if it is possible to reformat the PC, with the CD that he will get from microsoft, if he has a problem with i.e. harddrive and he has to reformat the hard drive.

Kind Regards,

Thanks
    Yes he should be able to format the HD and install from the DVD he receives from MS with no problems. He will have to ensure he installs the proper "bitness" version. If his PC is 64 Bit capable then he will be able to install either 32 Bit or 64 Bit. Most retail versions of Win 7 (I would assume the DVD he purchases from MS is a retail copy) include 2 DVD's with both 32 Bit and 64 Bit. You can only install one or the other, not both. Most OEM versions of Win 7 only include one or the other Bit versions. Also these OEM versions are tied to a particular PC, so have him make sure he purchases a retail version. These allow uninstall from one PC for installation on a different PC.

I have heard also that many 3rd party suppliers of valid Win 7 OS include all versions of Win 7 (HP, Pro and Ultimate) and the key you purchase determines which version is installed. I do not know this as fact but have read other posts mentioning this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi skender,

Did your friend purchase his computer from a retail store or a PC manufacturer? Is there a reason he believes his copy of Windows 7 is not genuine? The reason I ask is I have seen the same message at least twice on two different machines that also listed a couple of options. I am going by memory right now, and it has been some months ago, but both machines without a doubt were purchased from a reputable establishment. The option I chose ran a Windows Validation check on the machines and confirmed Windows to be genuine after all. I concluded that every once in a while, Windows Genuine Advantage will do a spot check to see what happens.

In any case, there are other issues that can generate the message your friend is experiencing, and his Windows may actually be genuine. Check this Microsoft Forum thread for example. I also recall another occasion where the message came up, and I phoned MS about it, and went through an automated session where I was given a long string of alphanumeric characters to enter, after which the "Windows not genuine issue" went away on that machine.

MS also has a Windows Genuine Advantage Forum site that might be helpful.

It would be a shame to have to purchase another copy of Windows unless there is certainty that the current installation is really not genuine. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-01-24 at 09:14. Reason: Add MS Forum link
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

oldowlie (2011-01-27)

Thanks
    Several posts move to their appropriate thread. Please do not hijack someone else's thread.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Several posts move to their appropriate thread. Please do not hijack someone else's thread.
    Thanks Clint, it really was aggravating seeing someone else hijacking my thread and changing it to a different question, it did not make sense.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-03-08 at 19:08.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just today got 2 popup messages that my copy of win7 may not be genuine and my first thought was that I had somehow gotten a virus or trojan so I didn't click the option to revalidate. I think I'll visit Microsnarfed and just revalidate and hope
    that it cures the glitch.

Ok, that didn't work, got an error message-\Barry\AppData\Local\Temp\auFd8BOI.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read. Anybody got any ideas? Little help, please....
    Last edited by oldowlie; 2011-01-27 at 17:53. Reason: need help

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the Family Pack that provides Windows 7 Home Premium licences for 3 computers.

On two occasions I got the Windows is not genuine message - reactivate. I simply rebooted and the computer booted up successfully as it always does.

A relative of mine, who uses one of the licences of my Family Pack, told me that the same thing happened to him and he phoned Microsoft support and it fixed the problem.

I told him that I just ignored the message and rebooted to fix the problem, which last occurred well over a month ago. If Windows still thought it was not genuine it would have disabled itself within the notice period to reactivate, which, if I remember correctly is 31 days.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a similar problem with the Family pack showing as not genuine. Where do I find the telephone number for Microsoft? I can't find it on the box?

Thanks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy