Thread: Shutdown time?

Lounger
    Thanks

Shutdown time?

Hello:

I hear long shut down times are not a good sign. What is considered a long shutdown time versus a normal shutdown time? I am running Win 7 Ultimate, 500 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM, M68MT-D3 GIGABYTE mother board. My shut down time can be as short as 17 seconds to as long as 93 seconds. Would that range be considered normal?

Glenn

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    One thing you can do is open Control Panel->System and Security->System, then choose Performance Information and Tools, then Advanced Tools and finally choose View Performance details in Event Log. This will show you performance related events. You can check for the latest events and see if you have warning or critical events or even errros. Click each of these to find the details. By doing that, you will find out if Windows thinks your shutdown time is too long. If it does, you will find events about it, tipically events informing about apps that cause the shutdown to take too long and, in bad cases, errors informing you the shutdown time is just too long - that is happening to me right now and I can't explain it.

Regards

Rui

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rui

I looked where you said and I find warnings for event 100 (Boot Start Up I think) & 200 (Shut down as best as I can tell). I am not a tech! Really anything to be overly concerned about?

Glenn

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glenn,

If you click the events, you will find info that can be more easy to interpret (check the general tab). There may be be events related to boot (yes, event ID is 100) and shutdown (ID 200). You can have a look at the times shown there and that will give you a precise estimate for the duration of boot and shutdown. Clicking the details tab, you even have info on how long each part of the system took to boot or shutdown.
    Probably the most relevant info is that if you have records for those events, that means windows "considers" they are taking more than they should. I have no shutdown events on my laptop, but my desktop is taking way too long to shutdown and an event shows for it.

HTH

Regards

Rui

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AuAgHunter View Post
    Hello:

I hear long shut down times are not a good sign. time versus a normal shutdown time? My shut down time can be as short as 17 seconds to as long as 93 seconds.

Glenn
    AuAgHunter,
    Hello.. When you "shutdown" do you have anything still running? EX: on my PC if i don't log off of my broadband connection i will get a screen after clicking "Shutdown" "waiting for whatever to shutdown" There might be something that you are running that your unaware of. Check "Task Manager" and see whats up before you "switch off" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have just substantially improved my shutdown time by changing the registry to prevent windows from clearing the page file on shutdown, which changed the event type recorded on the log from an error to a warning. This is more like it . I am not too worried about things while they are just warnings.

Thanks
    Hello:

I hear long shut down times are not a good sign. What is considered a long shutdown time versus a normal shutdown time? I am running Win 7 Ultimate, 500 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM, M68MT-D3 GIGABYTE mother board. My shut down time can be as short as 17 seconds to as long as 93 seconds. Would that range be considered normal?

Glenn
    17-93 seconds is a bit on the long side but not outrageously so.
    With some minor tweaking you could at the very least half that.

Thanks
    I also suspect your boot time may be slightly longer as those apps that have to shut down also have to start up. It seems all app suppliers think their apps should run at startup, which is just plain wrong. In fact stopping many of these apps from running in the background may speed up all your computing not just boot and shutdown depending on your amount of resources. I would definitely use an app like What's in Startup to check and most likely slim down these running apps.

WhatsInStartup.jpg

As you can see I only have 4 apps starting when Windows starts. All the other stuff is NOT necessary as apps will start quickly when you need then by manually selecting their shortcuts rather than having them running all the time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Two other apps that help clean up the list of apps started at boot time:

1) autoruns from sysinternals (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb963902) Find this handy for disabling lots of things.

2) Soluto (http://www.soluto.com/) Just discovered this one a week or so ago. Its handiest feature is that you can specify that certain startup apps get delayed - this is very handy for things I want to have running but don't want to have delay my getting started (things like DropBox). It also provides some information about each app in startup and suggestions as to whether to delay the start or to remove it.

Thanks
    One other thing which may sometimes cause long shutdowns, in addition to running processes which have not closed yet, is any updates which have not yet been fully applied. Usually this will be shown by a message on the shutdown screen. 17 seconds is very good timing. Anything over about 30 secs, and you should be looking for a cause. (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a dual-core computer.)
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your input. I think I found what was causing my long shutdown time. By disconnecting the USB cable from my Seagate free agent backup I have 8 to 10 second shut downs.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello:

Glenn
    If you go to the start button and in the box at the bottom of it (like a RUN area command) you type shutdown /f /p and time the shutdown, does it take less time to shut down and if so by how much? Drivers can sometimes be the reason things dont close down immediately and so can antivirus programs. In the end, using that command is sometimes preferable if you are otherwise busy.

Greg.