Thanks

Access 2010 Runtime Trusted Locations

I have a 2003 database that has been converted to Access 2007. All code is in this accdb and it creates and writes to a linked database which stores all the data.

I was asked if this could run on a PC with Office 2010 Standard -- no Access. So I tested using Access 2010 Runtime and, after a little bit of troubleshooting (and I consider myself very lucky...) I found that it does.

However, the issue I have is how to set up the Trusted Locations for these two accdbs so Runtime doesn't go nuts whenever the database is opened. One is in the Program Files, the other in the user's Application Data. I can manually create the Trusted Locations in the Registry, but what is the best practice on setting this up?

Thanks! Kim

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You should only have to set up Trusted Locations for one accdb, the Front End. You don't need to trust the location of the data file.

With the full version of Access 2010, this process has been simplified.
    You see a waning message, but if you click OK, it treats the location as trusted and you don't see that message again.

I have no experience of using the runtime version, but I read here that the same applies to the runtime. (last post) Does that work for you? If not the thread has a couple of other suggestions.
    Regards
    John

Thanks
    Thanks John; you're right. I don't have to Trust the DATA file. I removed that Trusted Location from the registry, leaving only the program entry. Then I opened the program and it opened the DATA without a peep. Yesterday, it had complained about each of the files, so I assumed I needed to trust each of them.

I am also concerned about how to set the Trusted Location at each workstation (and for each user of each workstation). When they're first rolled out, they will be imaged and the Trusted Location will be part of the image. But what if our scenario was installing after the image? What's the best way to roll the registry entry into the program installation for any user of the workstation? Can it be captured in the package Wizard? Or...?

Thanks!! Kim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can either create a Reg file and execute on each computer or try this free utility AddPath from here http://www.accessribbon.de/en/index....sted_Locations
    Jack

Thanks
    My goal is to be able to automate this as completely as possible. That is, I don't want to have to log in as every user on a computer to add this to the registry. Is there a registry setting that is inherited by any and all users of a given computer?

Thanks, Kim

New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2010 Runtime Trusted Locations

I am having the same issue. In the past a simple registry file could change the setting for the workstation now it is only setting the HKCU entry. I have attempted to enter an entry into the same hive in HKLM and it appears in every users Trusted locations under Policy Locations which would lead one to believe that user would have the Trusted Location but there must be some other security setting that overrides as the user still receives the message. We have files on the network that are accessed by multiple people and each worksation is used by several different users. It is painful to have each user run a registry file on multiple workstation. I have tried several Trusted Location registry entrys but have yet to find the magic entry. I hope someone can post a solution.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    John,

I don't believe the Runtime offers you the opportunity to set the Trusted Locations. Just one of the problems that make using the runtime a challenge; for example, it doesn't run the spell-checker either!
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkLiquorman View Post
    John,
    ... for example, it doesn't run the spell-checker either!
    There are ways.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

Thanks
    Kim,

This may help: Trust Center in Access 2007 and 2010
    Loook at teh section: Setting the Trusted Locations when deploying the Access Runtime Version

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HiTechCoach For This Useful Post:

kmurdock (2012-01-29)

Thanks
    Thanks Boyd a/k/a HiTechCoach!

Your site has given me many options to pursue. I'm sure that with a combo of these solutions I can find my way.

Best,
    Kim

Thanks
    Kim,

Glad to hear that information was helpful.

Good luck with your project.