2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP out of connections

I am running out of connections on the pcs on my network. All are running XP, 2 home and 2 pro. I know that pro has a limit of 10 connections and home 5. The MS articles say that if you get an error message, shut down some existing connections. My problem is how do I find which applications or processes are using how many connections? Also, can I be sure that if I shut an app / process down it lets go of the connection? In other words, I would like to see a list of the 5 or 10 possible connections, with the owner of each listed. Anyone know of any way of getting something like this?

Peter
    Last edited by petermat; 2011-01-24 at 23:23.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Peter,

Check if this can be of any help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882
    Probably setting a smaller value for auto-disconnect can help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirb,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had in fact previously read the MS note you pointed to, but got rather nervous when it seemed to suggest that once having set the time down, the auto tuning was locked out. Also since my problem persisted for hours, and through reboots, I guessed that setting the autodisconnect time down would have no effect. However prompted by your reply I re-read the note you pointed to, and several others that it pointed to. Anyway having looked into all that I set the time down to 2 minutes, and so far (only hours later) the problem seems to have gone away. (There does not seem to be a smiley for crossed fingers / touching wood ...)

Have you any idea of a downside to setting this time to lower than the default 15 mins?

Peter

PS I would still like a list of what has grabbed the connections!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad it solved your problem for now, Peter. I actually didn't know this setting existed on XP. The setting means that if there is no activity over a connection for the autodisconnect time, it will be terminated. So whatever activity may have stopped for that time, it will have to re-establish a connection if it needs to do something again. I think you likely can increase the time a bit (5 mins) and if you don't see any issues affecting your normal activity, consider it solved .

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You might want to investigate the Microsoft Windows XP - Netstat command.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

petermat (2011-01-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Unfortunately, with the autodisconnect time still at 2 mins - the problem has recurred. Reboot makes no difference and the pc is 'off the network' as far as seeing other pcs on the net, and being seen by them, immediately after a reboot. Thanks for the info about Netstat Joe, and it does appear relevant. However there is nothing in the MS document you referred me to that identifies which of the things Netstat displays is a "connection" in the 'you only get ten connections' (XP Pro) sense. So "netstat -a" for example shows around 30 TCP items and fifteen UDP items. Which (if any!) of these are relevant?

Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Peter,

Try using TCPView, should make it easier to find out what is going on.

Regards

Rui

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

petermat (2011-01-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very strange - I posted a reply saying the problem was fixed, and now I look and the problem is not fixed, and my post saying it was fixed has disappeared! Basically, I still cannot understand a direct connection between the information TCPView and Netstat provide and the magic number of 10 "input connections". I did learn from these and other sources, thank you, and the problem temporarily went away when I disabled a redundant 1394 connection, but as I say only temporarily!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone know if Windows 7 imposes the same limit?
    Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Windows 7 raises the limit to 20 connections:

Windows 7 editions comparison
    An article about TCP connections and SMB connections on Windows XP, that's interesting to understand that there are two network protocols involved here.

Regards

Rui