New Lounger
    Thanks

Converting Vista to XP Pro

Need some advice. I may have screwed up. A friend of mine received an HP Pavillion DV6700 Notebook and the OS was Vista Home Premium w/Service Pack 1. The processor is a 2 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile technology TL-60. She did not want Vista in the machine and asked if I could change it to XP. I thought I had read that the Turion chip was backward compatible to 32 bit OS. I installed XP Pro SP2 and upgraded to SP3.

Everything seemed to be working fine until I tried to load in the network card software to gain access to the Internet to do the upgrades. None of the software is working as most of it is for Vista 64. What makes this worse is that when I did check on the backwards capability it was for the AMD Athion 64 processor, not the Turion.

Are there any suggestions as to what I should do to get the system up and running? I guess the last resort would be to get a recovery disk from HP as none come with the computer. It had the usual recovery partition on the hard drive which is gone now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi Sutton6, Welcome to the new lounge
    Have you tried HP Support
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I did try HP Support. The drivers are mainly for the AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile technology TL-60 running Vista. I think what I have to do is install the latest updates (XP) for the chipsets and then install the drivers for XP. My problem is that I do not know where I can find the drivers for the chipset/s. HP support does not have drivers listed for a 32 bit OS. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Everything seemed to be working fine until I tried to load in the network card software to gain access to the Internet to do the upgrades. None of the software is working as most of it is for Vista 64. What makes this worse is that when I did check on the backwards capability it was for the AMD Athion 64 processor, not the Turion.
    64 bit software and drivers will not work in a 32 bit environment

Download the HP updater from another working computer and see if it will install on your XP installation, then look for the appropriate drivers,
    if they exist. Make sure the HP updater is for XP 32 bit. Use the netbook's product number for the HP site search for drivers.
    If they do not exist you will be looking at purchasing her a restoration disk. HP may not support XP as a downgrade option any longer.

You also may have voided her warranty by removing the restoration partition and installing XP. an image should have been
    made of the entire hard drive prior to starting all this irregardless.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-01-25 at 10:06.

Thanks
    Sutton6, go to the link I gave you, insert the full model number. When I did it, it showed there were Nvidia drivers, so go to their download site, using IE only, and use the search feature. It also showed you have Intel, it has same auto search as Nvidia. Your PC also has Realtek, go there and download correct ones for your system.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!