Star Lounger
    Thanks

Certificate domain-name mismatch: what to do?

I am using Win XP with Opera 10.63 as my main browser.

I recently tried to pay for an item on a car parts site and got the warning in the attached jpg file. I have gotten warnings at other times also. I may have clicked on the link to check out with PayPal and gotten this notice vs just going to the car site. I ended up using a credit card and successfully purchased the item. I may also have switched to another browser to complete the purchase.........don't remember.

I searched the lounge and did not find any answers to this problem - one post came close.

QUESTION >>>>>

WHAT does one do when faced with this problem ? Trust but verify ?
    That assumes you know what you are looking at.........I am only an experienced newbie who has seen this a few times. I searched my favorite computing magazine and found NO articles with answers to this problem.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    There is no answer to that other than the one the dialog suggests. If you trust the site, go ahead and pay, if not, don't.
    My belief is that, even if this is an honest mistake, a company that wants to be trusted wouldn't do that. I would not complete the purchase. At the very least, would use Paypal, as they have some buyer protection in place and your credit card number is protected (making sure that you are really using Paypal!). I don't say this to scare you, but I would keep close tabs on the credit card movements. Paying through credit card, in a site where that happens, is surely inviting trouble. Maybe nothing will happen, but you let your guard down and things happen.

Just MHO.

Thanks
    Maybe their payment processor is sloppy? No one likes to trust a sloppy company with their payment card information.

I suggest sending the auto site a link to this thread and telling them that they may be losing business as a result of this error. Hopefully they will then get their act together and fix it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have this issue coming up as well when logging in to the administration area of a website that I maintain. I think my problem arises because the certificate is issued by the third party that owns the software that's used for admin purposes.

This could also be the case here.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BWSman View Post
    I have this issue coming up as well when logging in to the administration area of a website that I maintain. I think my problem arises because the certificate is issued by the third party that owns the software that's used for admin purposes.

This could also be the case here.
    Regardless of the cause, this affects the site credibility, so better fix it sooner rather than later.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    They may have fixed it - I just tried the site and all seems well.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Especially when clicking on a payment link, never trust any link where the certificate does not match the site owner. Better safe than sorry. And site owners need to keep their certificates valid. Other than that, PayPal is usually a safer alternative, and can avoid any mismatches caused by hosting or third-party payment services used by a legitimate site. Opera is particularly picky about Certificates, compared with other browsers. This is usually a good thing, but it can cause confusion in these cases.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alternatives to PayPal

Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Other than that, PayPal is usually a safer alternative...
    As a lower-hassle (and even safer) alternative to PayPal, users of CitiCards and Bank of America credit cards have access to virtual credit card number services (called Virtual Account Numbers by CitiCards and ShopSafe by Bank of America). These services allow you to generate a one-time-use credit card number that attaches to your account. These virtual cards can have specific dollar limits and expiration dates; CitiCards also allows you to cancel a virtual number at any time. I've also successfully used these virtual card numbers for over-the-phone transactions.

CitiCards provides both web-site-based virtual card number generation and an optional standalone TSR (it lives in the system tray); I find the latter to be particularly useful. It's been several years since I used ShopSafe--at the time, only a web-site-based solution was available, though it's possible that Bank of America has since provided a TSR utility, as well.

One caveat:
    When dealing with some small retailers, I've found that their credit card processing service doesn't know how to deal with a virtual account number, as the the service places a "test" charge on the number (which maxes out that number), but fails to release the test charge before trying to process the "real" charge; most card processing systems are smart enough to release the test charge first. Given that this has happened to me only 5-10 times over the past 9 years out of 2000+ online transactions, I'm guessing that these small retailers are all using the same "bargain" credit card processing service. I've had some success (over half the time?) in these cases by simply doubling the credit limit on the card, allowing sufficient room for both the test and real charges.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've run in to this certificate miss-match before, but only with U. S. Government web-sites (curiouser and curiouser, said Alice). I knew what to look for and was able to verify everything but it was a bit of a shock<grin>.