Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paragon 10 Free

Thanks

Paragon 10 Free

Hi Loungers, get your copy Here
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    The site is Givaway-of-the-day so the deal is for January 26, 2011 only. The software is Paragon System Backup 10 Special Edition.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    The site is Givaway-of-the-day so the deal is for January 26, 2011 only. The software is Paragon System Backup 10 Special Edition.
    Joe
    Just tried it on my laptop, installed in 10 minutes, still trying to fix it after removal.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Just tried it on my laptop, installed in 10 minutes, still trying to fix it after removal.
    Does that mean you are having problems because of Paragon?

Thanks
    What advantage is it to use a program as opposed to saving an image to EHD without the necessity of having to install software which Win 7 already has? It takes about 10 min for me to save my image to EHD once/week.
    Take a sad song and make it better

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
    What advantage is it to use a program as opposed to saving an image to EHD without the necessity of having to install software which Win 7 already has? It takes about 10 min for me to save my image to EHD once/week.
    HeyJude,
    Hello.... There are several reasons to use a 3rd party Imaging software...Don't know about all but.... some that that i have "fooled with"
    1. Paragon .... Free version ... waste of time and effort.
    2. Macrium Reflect Free ... An excellent imaging program. http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
    3. Acronis true image home V-11, now 2010 V-7046

With Macrium and TI you can make a "boot-able recovery disk" ...this is a huge advantage ...
    1.When i "trash" my OS or OS's so that they are no longer "boot-able" ...You then load the disk , then boot into it , and recover your OS or OS's from a previous image.

2. Both use compression doing an Image ... so a Approx 20GB HD will compress to about 7GB... you can store many .... i have about a hundred or so going back years to my original installations

3.Speed is much faster than the "Windows flavor" both recovery and backing up.

4.You can "mount the "images" and explore them

5.You can validate the images ...to make sure they will actually work.

6.Shall i continue .... The MS version is "minimal" at best when you compare ...and the only time i have tried to use it in recovery ...It failed
    Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-01-26 at 18:50.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanks Fred for a precise answer :-) I shall investigate further. I like the idea of validating the images. Otherwise one has no clue if the recovery will work until you need it. Would you go so far as to say that my saved images on my EHD are useless? I have all my steps printed out as far as what to do should the need arise. I also have my original Win 7 DVD.
    Last edited by HeyJude; 2011-01-26 at 19:53.

Thanks
    Are you familiar with DriveImage XML (free)?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Thanks Fred for a precise answer :-) I shall investigate further. I like the idea of validating the images. Otherwise one has no clue if the recovery will work until you need it. Would you go so far as to say that my saved images on my EHD are useless? I have all my steps printed out as far as what to do should the need arise. I also have my original Win 7 DVD.
    HeyJude,

Let's put it this way would you drive your care at 60 MPH just after getting new brakes if the mechanic didn't test them. Well they might work!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    (yes I would because my husband is the mechanic and would know they were fixed properly), but I understand your point. Thank you. So what program do you use RetiredGeek?

http://majorgeeks.com/DriveImage_XML_d4919.html

Is this comparable to one of the above?
    Last edited by HeyJude; 2011-01-26 at 20:12.

Thanks
    HeyJude,

I'm an Acronis TI 2010 user and supporter. Been using Acronis products for several years and they have never let me down. That said I haven't upgraded, and usually don't upgrade early, to 2011 because of posts I've seen here and elsewhere about problems. "Always wait for version x.1!"

P.S. Be careful if he takes out a new Insurance Policy.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I like the idea of validating the images. Otherwise one has no clue if the recovery will work until you need it. Would you go so far as to say that my saved images on my EHD are useless? I have all my steps printed out as far as what to do should the need arise. I also have my original Win 7 DVD.
    Validating a backup image is NOT proof that it can be restored. All that does is read the image and compare it to the file on disc. If the backup and compare are done within Windows that is not how the restore will be done. Almost all the recovery boot disks are some Linux flavor. The only true way to know if a backup image will be able to be restored is to restore it.

Your saved EHD backups are valid. There are many people who use Windows backup successfully. It is much better than prior versions but still not as fully featured as many third party products.

Joe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

HeyJude (2011-01-26)

Thanks
    Joe,

Correct! That's why I always use the Acronis TI boot disk to do my Images...NO WINDOWS INVOLVED! I should have mentioned this in my post on Acronis...sorry.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

HeyJude (2011-01-26)

Thanks
    Joe, "Your saved EHD backups are valid. There are many people who use Windows backup successfully. It is much better than prior versions but still not as fully featured as many third party products."

That is what I have been taught by a 'puter guru. Now, with that being said, he also runs 7 'puters simultaneously with various programs so he is able to know exactly what a client is looking at or experiencing. He is the one who showed me Logmein and allowed me access to his PC (man did I feel privileged!). He uses DriveImage XML as a free program on his Win 7 laptop, but also uses the Windows * version of the backup discs/recovery that I use.

I am in the process of saving my C: drive to my EHD using DriveImage XML and it really is SIMPLE to use. I will not try it out unless it is necessary. All I had to do was d/l, install, change directory for storage from "documents" to E: [new folder] and click "Next." I'm glad I asked a simple question. I know there are varying opinions, but it's good to get a cross section and feel comfortable with not "overkill" but then having an assurance that you've done what you can to mitigate in the event you need the system image.

Thank you Fred and Joe very much.

Thanks
    RetiredGeek--I'll watch if suddenly a huge chunk of change disappears for sure ROFL :-) My brakes are better than his for sure--which my daughter will attest to lol....not to digress though and to stay on topic

Edit: I've successfully created a system image using DriveImage XML which along with my Windows Back-ups should enable me to mitigate an unwanted nightmare.
    Last edited by HeyJude; 2011-01-26 at 23:57.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast