2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Domain join wireless laptop

Hi, I have a server 2008 machine, it's IP address is 10.2.1.200, running on an ethernet 10.2.1.0/8 network, and I can add XP or win7 machines to the domain if they are on that wired network. Gateway for 10.2.1.0 is an IPCop box with 3 NICs: 10.2.1.1 to that wired network, 10.1.1.2 to the ADSL router on 10.1.1.1, and 10.3.1.2 to a Linksys WRT54GL router on 10.3.1.1, which has a wireless network 10.4.1.0/24.

I have a DNS issue if I try to add a laptop that is on 10.4.1.0/24 wireless, to the domain, giving the error below.

I am seeking advice on how to best configure the laptop's DNS so that it will function mainly on the wireless network (and domain) when accessible but also when away from the office (for example on my home network or if plugged in to the 10.2.1.0 or other ethernet networks).

I can browse wirelessly to a file share on 10.2.1.201 by \\machine\share because of an entry in the laptop's hosts file. I have another entry in hosts for the server 2008 machine's IP address. I have specified the server 2008 machine's IP address as preferred DNS address. This has become quite messy and confusing, and I'm looking for a better solution.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Regards Roger

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "my-org.trust":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.my-org.trust

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

my-org.trust
    trust
    . (the root zone)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My money says the Linksys is acting as DHCP/DNS for the 10.4.1.0/24 network and cannot handle the required DNS entries required by AD.
    Why do you split the wireless out on such a narrow range and then rely on a router? Surely it's better to allow access to the main network by setting an 8 bit mask and not using the Linksys as a router?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought DNS issues too. Original reason for the IPCop box is as a firewall, also the ability to separate the wired and wireless networks for added security, however it seems to have become too complicated (or beyond me anyway) to figure out the DNS and/or routing issues now that I'm wanting AD. DNS being handed out on the linksys is (in order) the server 2008 IP then the IPCop box NIC for the 10.3.1.0 network however it's not finding it's way to the server (or back).

There are a few things I'm not sure about or how to configure correctly, which get in the way of me following your suggestions further: I may not have the correct ports open on the IPCop box. I don't know how to (or if it's even possible) configure the linksys wrt54gl to NOT use the WAN port - so it becomes more like a wireless switch so that the wireless network can then become 10.3.1.0, if I could do that then I remove a level of addressing which may be enough for name resolution to work through the IPCop box. Certainly I can easily stop it being a DHCP server and remove the DNS entries.

I may need to ask a linux forum if there is some way to get this working but if anyone has further suggestions to offer I'd welcome them. I've got myself pretty well confused to this point! It might be that I need to resort to putting the wireless router inside the 10.2.1.0 network...

Regards Roger

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The default gateway for wireless traffic needs to be the Linksys router, unless you turn off DHCP and connect the IPcop box to one of the 4 switch ports, not the WAN port. Using the Linksys as a switch is preferable.

cheers, Paul