New Lounger
    Thanks

Firewall Keeps Flagging Unknown Program

Five days ago I started getting a message on start up from the firewall asking for permission to let an unknown program run. This happens every time the computer boots. I have tried googling the program name as well as using Windows Search with no results. Windows Search is unable to find the program. I can't remember installing any new programs recently.

In the firewall "programs" section there are 17 programs which were first detected within 5 days ago. Most of them begin with "mpksl" and then have a different group of numbers such as "mpksl167f2dc.sys". Some begin with "mpkslad" or "mpklse". All of them are followed by "kls driver 1.1.1010.0" listed as name.

I have Win XP with Online Armor free firewall. SpywareBlaster runs in the background. I did a full scan with Malwarebytes and MSE anti virus. WinPatrol runs in the background and prevents changes to the registry. It has a start up tab which allows you to prevent programs from running on start up. Everything listed there looks normal as does msconfig. Whatever program this is isn't listed there. I also tried setting system restore to an earlier date. The problem still occurred.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile MSE & Online Armor together !?

Hi : I just finished reading a Reply on a Microsoft Forum by a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional recommending that Online Armor be uninstalled since it serves little purpose when Microsoft Security Essentials is on the computer . So it seems you should uninstall one of the programs .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    Hi : I just finished reading a Reply on a Microsoft Forum by a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional recommending that Online Armor be uninstalled since it serves little purpose when Microsoft Security Essentials is on the computer . So it seems you should uninstall one of the programs .
    That's a completely wrong statement. Whoever said that doesn't know what he was talking about. Online Armor is a firewall / HIPS, not an antivirus, so maybe you can tell me (or ask the said person, as you seem to be quoting him), what type of protection does MSE offer that is similar to what Online Armor does?!

I have been running Online Armor ++ with MSE for a very long time. Had no problems whatsoever.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Advice from a Microsoft Most Valuable Professiona

The following was the Recomendation on a Microsoft Social Answers forum by 2 people with a similar problem : "There is really no benefit to running MSE and online Armor together. Uninstalling Online Armor should resolve the problem. Jim Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator " See the thread at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...3-7221bf0f1a90 . ( It was the 1st listing in a Google "search" for "mpksl )

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    The following was the Recomendation on a Microsoft Social Answers forum by 2 people with a similar problem : "There is really no benefit to running MSE and online Armor together. Uninstalling Online Armor should resolve the problem. Jim Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator " See the thread at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...3-7221bf0f1a90 . ( It was the 1st listing in a Google "search" for "mpksl )
    Well, MVP or not, that is simply wrong. Online Armor and MSE are totally different products.

Of course, he was right on one thing - if you have a HIPS complaining about a program and you remove the HIPS, I guess there will be no more complaints!!!

P.S: I posted on their forum to state my opinion on this incredible advice
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-01-27 at 17:56. Reason: Adding the P.S.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyby View Post
    Five days ago I started getting a message on start up from the firewall asking for permission to let an unknown program run. This happens every time the computer boots. I have tried googling the program name as well as using Windows Search with no results. Windows Search is unable to find the program. I can't remember installing any new programs recently.

In the firewall "programs" section there are 17 programs which were first detected within 5 days ago. Most of them begin with "mpksl" and then have a different group of numbers such as "mpksl167f2dc.sys". Some begin with "mpkslad" or "mpklse". All of them are followed by "kls driver 1.1.1010.0" listed as name.

I have Win XP with Online Armor free firewall. SpywareBlaster runs in the background. I did a full scan with Malwarebytes and MSE anti virus. WinPatrol runs in the background and prevents changes to the registry. It has a start up tab which allows you to prevent programs from running on start up. Everything listed there looks normal as does msconfig. Whatever program this is isn't listed there. I also tried setting system restore to an earlier date. The problem still occurred.
    Seems that driver is from MSE. If it is, the solution to your problem is simple: add the folder c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates to the excluded folders for Online Armor. This is done in Options -> Exclusions tab in Online Armor. I am not sure whether Online Armor free allows exclusions, though, as I run a paid version.

I wouldn't give up on OA to keep running MSE anyway!
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-01-27 at 17:57. Reason: correcting wording

New Lounger
    Thanks

No Luck

Online Armor free version doesn't allow me to add anything to the options/exclusions tab. I switched to Online Armor from Comodo because it was forever bugging me for permission. So either I pay the $20 or find another free firewall.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile "Firewall(s)"

Hi Jellyby : As far as I know, most security Expert consider Online Armor products to be a "HIPS" ( Host-based Intrusion Prevention System ) type a program, and NOT a "firewall", in the classical sense . I wonder IF Online Armor deliberately mislabels their product(s) as a "firewall", because that "term" is more familar with the general public, as "HIPS" is not !? "HIPS" programs are a lot more sensitive/complicated than the classical firewall programs . IF I had a HIPS program on my computer,it would be "DefenseWall", available at www.softsphere.com . The best Discussions I have seen about HIPS programs is on the Wilders Security Forums . IF you decide to keep Microsoft Security Essentials ( I would not have this program on my computer ) and want to consider a different "firewall" ( in the classical sense ), I recommend you look into the Outpost firewall; free, slightly out-of-date versions are available at http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall

Administrator
    Thanks
    Online Armor includes several components, including a firewall. I guess that's why they call it firewall, too. I guess that's what these products were originally called. I distinctly remember ZoneAlarm as stating that it included an OS firewall, which is basically a HIPS, besides the "common" network firewall.

Of course, free is free, but no one would make a living out of free, so it is to be expected that some restrictions are included with free products, so that users are encouraged to upgraded to paid versions. Personally I consider Online Armor to be my most valuable security app, that's why I am running the ++ version.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Thanks

Thanks for all your help. I switched to MSE from Norton AntiVirus 2010 after it suddenly stopped working. NAV tech support wanted me to install their 2011 version as a fix, but by then I decided to keep MSE. Fred Langa gave it his full endorsement, so I trust that it's good.

For now I installed Outpost firewall, but I might in the future go back to Online Armor. Anyway, thanks!