Star Lounger
    Thanks

Time Matters software

I've been put in charge of implementing this program for our law firm and barely know where to begin... has anyone out there already gone through this process? We will be exporting information from LawBase into Time Matters. I guess I just need to get the case management portion up and running first -- customizing the screens for our litigation unit.

Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated.

ConradE

Re: Time Matters software

Hi Joanne. I use Time Matters for my solo practice. Got it on recommendation of a techie lawyer whose judgment I greatly respect. I can see features that would be good for a firm and across a network, and my assistant and I use it well on our peer-to-peer NT4 network. But it's a bit inelegant. For instance I would like to be able to access a phone list without having to fire up the whole program if it's not already running. The 32-bit interface has a lot more to offer than TM provides.

If your firm hasn't purchased the support plan, I suggest it be purchased. There's a lot to be learned that just doesn't come through by reading the manual and working with the program day to day. For the same reason I would also recommend hiring a TM consultant to come in and demonstrate what a rich program it is. Along the same lines, I've been unable to find *any* newsgroups, internet sites, etc., concerning TM. I would think the TM folks would promote such a newsgroup.

I suppose if I had more time to devote to it, I could be more efficient, but that's solo practice. My assistant is still intimidated by it after more than two years, so two days of classes and hand-holding by phone support still hasn't enabled us to "copy" a Contact's data and then call a Word letter template or fax template, hit "paste" and have the document open with the contact's data in there and ready to roll. When I purchased I thought I could do this.

Good luck and if you get stuck or have questions -- or find ways to do some of the things I've mentioned -- drop me a note: conrad@ceypc.com. Cheers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much for the information Conrad. I've shared it with my supervisor. Actually, we do have a third party consultant who we're purchasing the product from. He is supposedly well versed in the program, but I have yet to spend any substantive time with him. I guess the only place I will be able to get the information about customizing the screens themselves is from the attorneys who will be using the software. I'll have to try to get all the information and screens into some logical grouping. I will discuss the support plan with our consultant as well. I appreciate your taking the time to share your insight and experience with me. I may take you up on your offer and pick your brain in the near future!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joanne:

I would highly recommend that you check out the Technolawyer listserver for more information on TimeMatters. There are a number of the top legal technology consultants on the list and they dispense an awful lot of great advice for free. I have been a subscriber of the list for three years now and it's the best resource out there. Hope that helps!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>If your firm hasn't purchased the support plan, I suggest it be purchased. There's a lot to be learned that just doesn't come through by reading the manual and working with the program day to day. For the same reason I would also recommend hiring a TM consultant to come in and demonstrate what a rich program it is. Along the same lines, I've been unable to find *any* newsgroups, internet sites, etc., concerning TM. I would think the TM folks would promote such a newsgroup.<hr>

There is an excellent list. The address for the list is timematters@lists.elder-law.com. The list s fairly active, but not outrageous -- 5-10 messages per day.

About 60% of the active participants are consultants with lots of answers they are happy to share. While the list is hosted by a private laaw firm (that specializes in elder law), a representative of Time Matters, Bob Butler is a frequent contributor.

The web site for the list is http://www.lists.elder-law.com/cgi-bin/lyr...ter=timematters . I don't know the address for subscribing, but you should be able to find it on the web site or by just sending a message to the list itself; the automated response may have the subscription instructions.

ConradE

Thanks, Art. Found it and now subscribed. Very helpful.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are welcome, and if you need any help with a TimeMatters feature, you can eMail me @ arthur@alexion.com. I've been using it for 4 years, have a lot of it down, but still learn new features all of the time.