Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with MSE upgrade

I tried the MSE upgrade and halfway through the upgrade I was warned that it could not complete the upgrade. I was left with NO Microsoft Security Essentials! I could not even reinstall the older version. I had to fall back to the Image Backup in order to have MSE on my computer.
    Any suggestions on how I can upgrade? Let me say this: I tried a clean install too with the same results.

Thanks
    You can always download and save the MSE v2 executable file to your desktop. Disconect from the internet (to protect against nasties while performing this change). Use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall MSE v1, then install the previously downloade MSE v2. This whole process will be completed in less than 10 minutes.

Unfortunately with all the different combinations of hardware and software, there are occasional glitches in the upgrade system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    MSE 2.0 should install over the previous version flawlessly.
    If it does not, the question you should be asking yourself is:
    What have I got currently installed and running that is interfering with it's successful installation.

Other real time AM/AV software installations, complex firwall configurations, weak non admin account installation,
    failure to overcome permissions. Take a good look at what you have installed and have running in the backgrownd.

Thanks
    If you have a restore point or backup image prior to the upgrade install, do a System or image Restore . Then, uninstall MSE and install MSE2 from the executable location Ted gave.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=ahmous;787225]I tried the MSE upgrade and halfway through the upgrade I was warned that it could not complete the upgrade.

Have you been able to resolve this problem? I'd appreciate any hints based on your experience.

I'm seeing the same thing, and unfortunately, I do not have a backup (I know...) It's on my laptop which I don't use very much, but I can't get MSE installed again - even tried re-installing V1.x. Same result.

New Lounger
    Thanks

MSE troubling shooting site

Try looking over this official MSE helpsite:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-9561b2d62733

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much everybody. I resolved the matter by falling back on a previous backup. Then I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall the old MSE and then I used registrar light v 2.00 to hunt any leftover entries on the registry. Then I installed MSE 2.00. The installation went smoothly. I suspect that it has something to do with not being an administrator at the time of the upgrade. Try "Taking Ownership" of the MSE 2.00.exe or else log in as an Administrator. "Taking Ownership" is mentioned in the previous Windows Secrets, in the article Seven simple steps for setting up Windows 7 by Woody Leonhard.
    Again, thank you very much fellows. You are all Princes!!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mistake about "Take Ownership"

I made a mistake about "Take Ownership". You will find it at the address:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation

AHMous wrote:
    "I tried the MSE upgrade and halfway through the upgrade I was warned that it could not complete the upgrade. I was left with NO Microsoft Security Essentials! I could not even reinstall the older version. I had to fall back to the Image Backup in order to have MSE on my computer."
    For those who need to know, I too have encountered this very same exact situation -- only, I use Windows XP Professional. (N.B. to Lounge Staff: You might wish to crosspost this thread under the WinXP section as well.) I too had to restore an image backup, using BootItNG, to get the "old" version of MSE back. That's what I'm using presently, but if previous experience is any guide that won't last indefinitely -- Microsoft will "kill off" update compatibility for the old version eventually, and leave us out in the cold! Somehow or other, we MUST resolve this upgrade problem. Any ideas?!?

IMPORTANT: If you reply to this message (that is, to me personally), do remember that I'm using WinXP Pro, not Win7! Please try to make any suggested remedies relevant to that OS. Thanks...
    Last edited by GrandRascal; 2011-02-05 at 13:47.
    The Elephant says, "Tusk, tusk!".

---End---

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandRascal View Post
    AHMous wrote:

For those who need to know, I too have encountered this very same exact situation -- only, I use Windows XP Professional. (N.B. to Lounge Staff: You might wish to crosspost this thread under the WinXP section as well.) I too had to restore an image backup, using BootItNG, to get the "old" version of MSE back. That's what I'm using presently, but if previous experience is any guide that won't last indefinitely -- Microsoft will "kill off" update compatibility for the old version eventually, and leave us out in the cold! Somehow or other, we MUST resolve this upgrade problem. Any ideas?!?

IMPORTANT: If you reply to this message (that is, to me personally), do remember that I'm using WinXP Pro, not Win7! Please try to make any suggested remedies relevant to that OS. Thanks...
    I am afraid that there is nothing we can do for Win XP PRO. I am using that now temporarily. Since Microsoft is not offering the upgrade through Windows update, it means that the new MSE is not for XP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    According to the resource page at Microsoft Security Essentials, MSE will run on XP Sp3.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, I doubt if that page has been updated since well before version 2

Here's a post from someone who has got MSE 2.0 working on XP SP3.

Thanks
    I installed MSE 2 on my old XP SP3 laptop with no isssues.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I also have MSE 2 installed on XP SP3 (Windows 7 XP Mode), as I had the previous version, which I upgraded.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Solved MSE upgrade install

Came across a Toshiba Vista home premium laptop that would not accept the upgrade from MSE V.1.01 to V.2. I tried everything including the registry fixes from Microsofts' help and the auto FixIT 50535.

Initially MSE V.1.01 would not uninstall by any method until the Microsoft FixIT file 50535 was run. This then got rid of its "shell" but folders still remained on reboot for the product which had to be deleted manually.

MSE V.2 would still not install, by any method. The ONLY way to fix it was to reinstall V.1.01.1611.0. Fortunately I had kept a back up of the install file for this!

Once a new clean install had been done of V.1.01.1611.0 the MSE was able to be upgraded succesfully to V.2.0.657.0 by clicking its own upgrade link near its help button.

This appears to be a known issue and it would seem at this stage that anyone who cannot uninstall or reinstall MSE due to a corrupt upgrade or otherwise is basically 'stuffed' unless they can get hold of their original installer package (V.1.01) for the product.
    Last edited by macutmore; 2011-03-25 at 13:09. Reason: version error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast