New Lounger
    Thanks

Dell 1320c Color Laser Printer - Can't Print

I have an unusual issue with my Dell 1320c Color Laser Printer. The printer is connected by Ethernet to my home network. I'd been able to print to it from my desktop for years, but over the past few months, I've been unable to print to it.

The network sees the printer, and I can view and make changes to its configuration page. When I try to print to it, however, whether it's a test page or from an application, nothing happens. No printer queue, no print job, nothing.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer numerous times, and I've downloaded the latest software as well. What changed in my desktop configuration that would allow me to see the printer on the network, install it, and configure it, but won't let me print? FWIW, other computers on the network can print to the 1320c just fine.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, but so are two other machines on my network, and they aren't experiencing this problem. Any ideas of what's going on?

Regards,

Ron

Thanks
    Hi Ron, and welcome to the Lounge!

Did you make any changes to your desktop just before you were unable to print to the printer? Any upgrades in hardware, software or OS?

What OS are you running on your desktop, and what are your desktop specs? Is your desktop connected via wireless or Ethernet?

Are there other computers on your home network? When you access the printers configuration page are you accessing it from the desktop that has the issue or another PC? If there are other computers on your network, do they connect via wireless or Ethernet?

Do you get any error messages when you attempt to send a print job to the printer? Check the Event Viewer Windows Logs - Applications and System Logs - for errors immediately after attempting to print. Click Start Orb, type eventvwr and press the Enter key if using Vista or Windows 7. Can also to to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer.

Can you successfully ping the printer from your desktop? Does your printer use a static IP address or is one assigned via DHCP?

NOTE: This thread was relocated from the Hardware Forum as it pertains to Networking issues.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-01-27 at 07:26.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Answers to your questions

Thanks for the prompt response!

Did you make any changes to your desktop just before you were unable to print to the printer? Any upgrades in hardware, software or OS?

I dutifully upgrade drivers, applications and the OS through Windows Update, CNET Tech Tracker, File Hippo Updater and Driver Detective. I can't recall a specific upgrade after which I was unable to print to the Dell.

What OS are you running on your desktop, and what are your desktop specs? Is your desktop connected via wireless or Ethernet?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on an ASUS P5Q-EM platform. Intel Q9650 quad core processor, 16 MB DDR-2 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 4870 1 GB PCI-E video card - anything else significant? I've attached a text file with full information. I am connected via Ethernet.

Are there other computers on your home network? When you access the printers configuration page are you accessing it from the desktop that has the issue or another PC? If there are other computers on your network, do they connect via wireless or Ethernet?

There are three desktops, two laptops, a netbook and a home server on the home network, and two networked printers, including the Dell. When accessing the configuration page, I'm usually doing it from the computer that has the issue. I have a mix of wired and wireless connections for the systems on the network.

Do you get any error messages when you attempt to send a print job to the printer? Check the Event Viewer Windows Logs - Applications and System Logs - for errors immediately after attempting to print. Click Start Orb, type eventvwr and press the Enter key if using Vista or Windows 7. Can also to to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer.

No error messages and nothing in the logs. I opened the print queue and it's empty. Just to test it, I sent it to the queue with the printer off, and the test page sat there with the status listed as "Spooling". When I turned on the printer, the print job disappeared as it should have. It just never came out of the printer.

Can you successfully ping the printer from your desktop? Does your printer use a static IP address or is one assigned via DHCP?

Yes, I can ping the printer from the desktop. I've tried both static and dynamically assigned IPs; currently it's assigned via DHCP.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    In looking over your attached file, I see two Dell printer services running - Dell Printer Status Database and
    Dell Printer Status Watcher

Do either of these services generate a log(s) concerning printer activity or errors?

Also, have you tried locating your printer under Control Panel>Devices and Printers, right clicking the printer and selecting Troubleshoot to see what Windows reports?

If you right click on the printer and select Printer properties, does the Sharing tab show the Share this printer and Render Print jobs on client computers selected?

How about the Security tab, does it show you or Everyone having print permission?

On the Ports tab, does the selected port show the correct current IP address of the printer, and the Description is Standard TCP/IP Port? I have an HP networked printer connected to the router via Ethernet, and when I used DHCP to assign the IP address to the printer, I found that often when the router released and renewed the IP address, I had a new IP address and my PCs were unable to print to the printer. When I changed to a static IP address for the printer, outside the range I allowed for DHCP for the rest of the network, my problems went away. I set the port to the static IP address and have been printing without difficulty since.

The only other thing I can think of at this time is the configuration of you firewalls. You have Windows 7 Firewall and apparently Norton Security Suite running, probably with its firewall active as well. Have you checked to see if there is a firewall setting that is blocking your print jobs from reaching the printer?
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-01-27 at 10:00.

Thanks
    I do not know if you set the printer up on your desktop as a network printer or a local printer, but if you have not tried to set it up as a local printer, give it a go. Add the printer as a local printer, uncheck the automaticaly detect and install option. On the next screen click add a new port and select standard TCP/IP port, then put in your printer's IP address. This suggestion was in a post in a thread some time back by mercyh, another Windows Secrets Lounger.

Hopefully, other members will chime in with further suggestions.

Thanks
    Also, verify that the right IP address is listed in the printer properties under ports.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    In looking over your attached file, I see two Dell printer services running - Dell Printer Status Database and
    Dell Printer Status Watcher

Do either of these services generate a log(s) concerning printer activity or errors?

Other than toner status, no.

Also, have you tried locating your printer under Control Panel>Devices and Printers, right clicking the printer and selecting Troubleshoot to see what Windows reports?

Windows suggests making it the default and adding it to the homegroup; neither suggestion solved the problem.

If you right click on the printer and select Printer properties, does the Sharing tab show the Share this printer and Render Print jobs on client computers selected?

Yes.

How about the Security tab, does it show you or Everyone having print permission?

Yes.

On the Ports tab, does the selected port show the correct current IP address of the printer, and the Description is Standard TCP/IP Port? I have an HP networked printer connected to the router via Ethernet, and when I used DHCP to assign the IP address to the printer, I found that often when the router released and renewed the IP address, I had a new IP address and my PCs were unable to print to the printer. When I changed to a static IP address for the printer, outside the range I allowed for DHCP for the rest of the network, my problems went away. I set the port to the static IP address and have been printing without difficulty since.

The IP address is correct; I've used both DHCP and static IP addresses with no difference in the result.

The only other thing I can think of at this time is the configuration of you firewalls. You have Windows 7 Firewall and apparently Norton Security Suite running, probably with its firewall active as well. Have you checked to see if there is a firewall setting that is blocking your print jobs from reaching the printer?
    I see nothing in the Norton Firewall configuration specifically addressing the printer, and the Windows Firewall configuration says, "These settings are being managed by vendor application NORTON FIREWALL PROVIDER."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried this without effect. Thanks for the suggestion!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    An update on my issue. I checked every active computer and Ethernet-connected printer on the network. Here are my findings:

- 3 desktops (Win 7 Home Premium 64, Win 7 Home Premium 32, Windows Vista 32), 1 laptop (Win 7 Home Premium 32) and 2 networked printers (Brother HL-5250DN mono laser and Dell 1320c color laser) tested.

- All systems printed successfully to the Brother printer.

- All systems successfully detected and installed Dell color printer.

- All but one system (mine - Win 7 Home Premium 64) printed successfully to the Dell color printer.

- Attached screen shot shows that Dell software console on my system "sees" the printer and correctly reports its status. I was also able to access the printer settings via web interface and change the IP from dynamic to static.

- When attempting to print a test page, the printer queue shows the print job "Sent to printer" and it disappears from the queue. As far as I can tell, the job is being sent to the printer; it just doesn't print.

What could be happening on this system that makes it appear to send the print job but nothing actually happens. I can print to the other network printer without any problems, and it's clear my system "sees" the color laser. I've tried all the suggestions given thus far; I've even uninstalled all the printer software and driver and started over again. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

-
    Attached Images Attached Images