2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Secunia and Shockwave

Secunia PSI 2 scan is reporting Adobe Shockwave 10.4.1.31 as end of life so I clicked Solution D/L and installed Shockwave 11
    Secunia is still reporting Adobe Shockwave 10.4.1.31 as end of life
    I uninstalled Shockwave with Revo rebooted however, Secunia is still reporting 10.4.1.31 as end of life.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubyjim View Post
    Secunia PSI 2 scan is reporting Adobe Shockwave 10.4.1.31 as end of life so I clicked Solution D/L and installed Shockwave 11
    Secunia is still reporting Adobe Shockwave 10.4.1.31 as end of life
    I uninstalled Shockwave with Revo rebooted however, Secunia is still reporting 10.4.1.31 as end of life.
    Did you check the folder where Secunia states that version is? Did you force it to re-scan?

Thanks

Uninstalling old versions of Shockwave & Flash

I have had the same problem with Secunia and Flash. The solution is to download the UN-installers for Shockwave and Flash
    http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...ninstaller.exe
    http://download.macromedia.com/pub/f...ash_player.exe

Then take the following steps...
    1. Close Secunia (if it minimizes to the system tray, close it completely by right-clicking the Secunia icon in the tray and choose "Close Tray Icon".
    2. Close web browsers and any other apps that may use Shockwave or Flash.
    3. Run the UN-installers.
    4. Re-visit Adobe and install the latest versions.
    5. (optional but recommended) Reboot yer 'puter.
    6. Start Secunia and do a full Re-scan. Shockwave and Flash should no longer be flagged as insecure or end-of-life (at least until the next updates from Adobe, which is fairly frequent).
    Last edited by lostwages; 2011-01-28 at 00:33.
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have PSI enabled for automatic program updates? Before I enabled that, it was always difficult to completely get rid of the remnants of shockwave or flash that had long ago been updated. Since enabling automatic program updates, it's no longer a problem.
    Don
    Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5-490K 3.5GHz, Intel HD Graphics, 8GBRAM, 350GB SSD

Thanks
    The real problem here is that Secunia PSI detects not only the plug-in (Shockwave, Flash, etc.) but also any Program Data and any User Data (User Aplication Data) associated with the older, insecure version of the plug-in. The same applies for updates to browsers and some other programs which store Application Data on a per-user basis. You need to manually remove each old AppData Folder for each updated application or plug-in, for each user, to pass muster with Secunia PSI.

This makes sense in that Trojan Horses and viruses can hide themselves in user Application Data Folders. In fact, these are ideal locations for such hidden malware to hang out, as these Folders are normally Hidden Folders, and most users do not know that they exist, let alone how to manage them or their contents.

Once again, PSI and Adobe are not at fault -- you have to take some responsibility for cleaning out old user data for yourself, unless something like CCleaner can do the job automatically.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-01-31 at 15:28.
    -- Bob Primak --

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for this info

Thanks
    Anytime I require doing un update flagged as end of life by Secunia, after its done, all that needs doing, is a scan.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!