New Lounger
    Thanks

Seven simple steps for setting up Windows 7

Woody posted this little tidbit in his latest article:

7-Zip: Because we live in a world that still has Apple computers, I always install 7-Zip (download page). (No! Put down that brickbat!) Seriously, people are always sending me .rar files, almost invariably from Apple computers. You need to have a .rar-savvy program to decompress them. If all you ever receive is .zip files, Windows handles those nicely.
    "almost invariably from Apple computers"

Mac's also create and handle .zip files nicely.
    WinRAR is a windows program. I own a license.
    They do offer a CLI version for Macs, but "Average Joe" isn't going there.

To me, that statement seems a little misguiding. Should I believe the rest of the article?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Opinions are just that, opinions. You pick the ones you want and move on.

Woody's opinion on Homegroup, for example, contradicts (or ignores) Fred Langa's findings on the performance degradation introduced by Homegroup when transferring data between your computers. I also found that having Homegroup active causes issues when accessing some info on another computer. I have Homegroup disabled, after having it enabled. I don't think I'll be turning it on anytime soon.

So, again, you pick what you choose from what's offered. An opinion reflects nothing but the author's experience and anyone can have a different experience and a different opinion.

Thanks
    I also found the Apple reference a bit of a drive-by fruiting (to quote Mrs Doubtfire). I also find RAR seems to do little or no compression (certainly on .jpg files) so I wondered why people use it.

But I agree with the recommendation for 7Zip because it handles a lot of formats and its own .7z format does excellent compression. Also it has a command line version (7za.exe) which has nice wildcard support for the filenames and can be run from batch files and easily scheduled - all of which makes it very useful.

Jock

Thanks
    I've always been a fan of WinRAR/WinZip and make it part of my must have utilities.
    .jpg's
    You can't compress something that is already in a compressed format, you'll only ruin it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Drive by fruiting" D

I am that guy he's talking to in this column. Think I'll have a job after I retire LOL.
    And yes I agree it's an opinion, and take it all with a grain of salt. But that .rar statement takes the credibility away IMHO.

How about "Because there are numerous archive formats in use today, a good, free choice would be 7zip. It will handle just about any archive type."

I bought WinRAR back in the 90's, because I could put big files in parts on a bunch of floppies. I also had WinZip with the "Lifetime License" and still have the floppy it came on (v3.0 I think).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In addition to using Secunia PSI and windows update (download and let me decide to install), I also use CNET TechTracker which does a good job of telling me that various downloaded applications have been updated, and provides for downloading the updates. Every now and then both applications will complain about an "out of date" application that has actually been updated. This is usually corrected within a week or so. With CNET TechTracker I just tell it to hide the application until the next update.

Thanks
    Hi Clint

You certainly can compress it if the existing compression format isn't the best.
    As a test, I just compressed 4823 jpg files totaling 121,713,409 bytes into a .7z archive. It is 57,847,585 bytes.
    Then I extracted that into another folder. 4823 files, same byte total as the original.
    Opened 100 or so images with Irfanview - all opened without errors and look fine.

As long as the compression method is lossless no corruption should result.

Jock

Thanks
    Woody is simply stating that he gets many files in rar format and in his case the majority come from Mac's, period. He is not saying yea or nay to Mac's. He then states 7zip seems to work best for him. As stated previously, this is his opinion. The article was meant to inform what apps Woody uses, and for him which apps works best. Take it as just that, his recommendation just as Fred Langa has his favorite apps, and I have my favorite apps.

Should you believe the rest of the article????? Woody is considered by many as pretty knowledgable in Windows. I would trust almost anything he says as being true in his experience. Will everything he says works for him work for me also, probably not. Not because he does not know what he's talking about, but because his setup is different from mine and not everything he uses will work best for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    None of Woody's simple steps are really that helpful for me. I setup Windows by carving it into pieces across multiple logical drives. I don't use any backup solution that runs in Windows.

I do get rid of all the junk, but I use Revo Uninstaller (free version) and Regedit.

The way I setup Windows enables me to do a complete retoration to bare metal and have it look and act just as it does right now.

No, it's not necessarily simple, but it works for me. And for anyone interested, the details are available on my website.

Woody and I are in agreement about user accounts, though.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows