New Lounger
    Thanks

Seven steps - "Administrator" accounts

The article suggests that every Windows 7 computer should have an "Administrator" username and password and that users should not use that account.

Sorry, but it does not work. I forced my wife and daughter and I to live through that scenario and it did nothing but frustrate us all.

1) Typing in the password every time you install something became annoying, just like clicking "Continue" would so it does not help you to avoid malware more than just normal caution does.

2) If you install a program as "Administrator", the program might only be installed for that account or, when the program starts, after install, you are logged in with the Admin credentials and your data is saved under the Admin's Documents library, rather than as the user.

I could see this being useful for a child / teen where you do not want them to mess up your computer so you make them come to use to install something. But for the owner of the computer, I don't see any real advantage to it.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I have to agree with you. With the UAC and adequate protection (I run an HIPS and an AV, plus the UAC), I find running as Administrator to be an acceptable risk and surely saving you from a lot of annoyances.

Thanks
    In Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows by default installs every program with all users having full access. In fact, you have to right-click on a program's shortcut and click on a menu item to restrict other users from using an installed program.

Which program(s) have you encountered which, when installed from a Windows 7 Administrator Account (with full Administrator privileges) cannot be run by a Standard User?

I have run into lots of programs which, due to UACs, must be started with an Administrator Password, if that's what you mean. UAC controls can be turned off entirely from an Administrator Account, if you find them annoying. Then all users should have unfettered access to all programs.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I also find that my wife and I only have the administrator accounts in our name. My wife and I both have our own laptops, and both are the only users on our laptops. We both have good security apps and good security habits, both have our Windows up to date with all updates, both keep all our apps up to date, both clean up our PC's regularly, both clean out temp. internet files upon closing our browsers and both have never had a virus or successful malware attack. I have UAC turned off, whereas she has it set to medium.

As can be seen, you can be successful while using an administrator account as long as you are proactive with your own security.

As a side, I use Win 7 Ultimate with IE 9 beta and Chrome 10 beta and my wife uses Win 7 HP with IE8 and FF (??? version).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy