New Lounger
    Thanks

MS Security Essentials 2.0 Hogs CPU

I am running XP SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 with 2GB RAM. Yesterday I upgraded MS Security Essentials to the new v 2.0 and ever since about every 5 minutes my CPU usage goes to 80%+ and stays there for a couple of minutes. Process Hacker identifies MsMpEng.exe as the culprit. Any explanation why this is happening now when it did not happen with version 1.0 and what I can do to stop it?

Greg Walter

Thanks
    When you did your upgrade did you Uninstall the old version first?If not you can use the one of the better Uninstall programs for FREE!Here's the link;http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html Read the instructions first.Then Uninstall MS Security program.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    When I installed 2.0 I thought it uninstalled the old version first..
    I'm not sure now but I have no problems with 2.0..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gswalter View Post
    I am running XP SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 with 2GB RAM. Yesterday I upgraded MS Security Essentials to the new v 2.0 and ever since about every 5 minutes my CPU usage goes to 80%+ and stays there for a couple of minutes. Process Hacker identifies MsMpEng.exe as the culprit. Any explanation why this is happening now when it did not happen with version 1.0 and what I can do to stop it?

Greg Walter
    Hi Greg, this site will help Gizmo Tips and Tricks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Greg, this site will help Gizmo Tips and Tricks
    I have also tried MSE 2.0 with XP Pro SP3 and found it to be both a memory hog and a CPU hog. It did not matter what the CPU Limiter was set to. The CPU usage would still exceed what the CPU Limit was set to in MSE. It was a hog whether running a scan or just running in the background.

Thanks
    I have read in various places that MSE v2 does not do nearly as well in conserving resources with Win XP as it does with Win 7. It rocks with Win 7, not so much with XP. It seems the AM portion does not play as nice as the AV portion.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I use it on both XP and 7 and have not noticed any resource problems.

Some people may be running several av programs at the same time and that will cause problems.

Some people expect av and other security programs to protect them from their own bad computing habits....

If people just exercise reasonable cautions they would not have any infections...

I know a couple of people that because they click on everything they see, get their computers so infected they have to periodical take them in to get cleaned...
    Then they go right back to their old habits...

I never open attachments, even from friends, that I don't save and scan first...
    I never click on email links....

When I get one of those pop-ups that say" are you sure you want to navigate away from this page" I never click YES...
    I open task manager and shut down IE from there.

It's a pain at times but my system is clean and I very rarely have any problems....

I'm off my soap box now but before I leave I would like to sing a song for you....