Thread: Mouse Problem

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mouse Problem

Yesterday, my husband was working in Excel (which he does regularly)….Without any warning, he lost total use of the mouse…Nothing he / we did brought it back for any function within Excel or anything else…..Tried to close the program—No go…..Tried to log off---No go…….Nothing worked…..Leaving us to ‘Power Off’ with the On/Off button….
    The worst part was----Pushing the on/off button didn’t even work…..We had no choice (that we know to do) but to disconnect the power supply of the computer…..We did that….Let it stay off for a few minutes….Plugged it back in….Crossed our fingers….Voila….Ok---we’re up and running…..But----Does anyone have a clue what went wrong….And----Was there something else we could have / should have done….?????
    Any / all help greatly appreciated…..
    H/P Pavilion a6400f / Pent Dual Core / Win Vista-SP2 / IE 9 / Chrome / OFFICE 2007 / AVG2015 (Free) / MalwareBytes / Windows Firewall / Verizon DSL / E-mail AOL9.7 / Printer H/P OfficeJet 6700 All In One / Canon SX160 Camera / CCleaner2014 (Free)

Thanks
    I asume this was a complete freeze up of the computer which includes the keyboard as well.

A hard off would have most likely been your only option in that case. You will find a switch in the back
    of your computer on the power supply, this will do the trick along with pressing the power on/off switch in
    front afterward to ensure the power in the boards' capacitors have also been discharged.

You may check the event viewer for errors relating to the event by exact date and time the incident occured by typing:
    "eventvwr.msc" in the run box without the quotes.
    If the computer itself has not done so, run a checkdisk on the main drive. Quite often, sudden power offs can create disk errors and or loss of data.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-01-28 at 08:04.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Is the mouse wireless? If so, something like a wireless phone {not a Cell Phone} or other radio frequency device could have interfered with the signal and locked the software up. Also, sometimes the computer decides to take off and do some background task and chews up all the CPU cycles which can make the HID {Human Interface Devices} non responsive, this you just have to wait out.

Also on most newer PCs you have to hold down the power button for about 5 seconds to get it to shut the computer off.

I hope this is of some help.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mouse Problem

Clint......
    Right--No keyboard either.....

I had checked the Event Viewer....The closest I found for that time was:
    WMI 10 --Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
    I'll run a ckdsk as you suggest.....Thanx for your help.....
    H/P Pavilion a6400f / Pent Dual Core / Win Vista-SP2 / IE 9 / Chrome / OFFICE 2007 / AVG2015 (Free) / MalwareBytes / Windows Firewall / Verizon DSL / E-mail AOL9.7 / Printer H/P OfficeJet 6700 All In One / Canon SX160 Camera / CCleaner2014 (Free)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek....
    No--mouse not wireless....
    Guess we just have to chalk it up to 'puter ghosties.....
    Thanx for your help...Will remember about holding down the power button....Thanx again