New Lounger
    Thanks

ZoneAlarm fragment blocks Windows Firewall

I've been converting our systems from a commercial AV/firewall product and installing MSE V2 on them. This has gone well except for one system. This is an XP Pro SP3 box on which I'd left ZoneAlarm free installed.

When installing MSE I set it to start Win Firewall if nothing else was running and uninstalled ZoneAlarm. However when starting and logging on, the machine consistently displays the red security shield and reports that ZoneAlarm is reporting that it is not running. I can manually turn Win Firewall on, but need to get this problem fixed as it's my wife's machine.

I've tried reinstalling and uninstalling ZoneAlarm and editing the registry removing all locatable keys/objects with zonealarm in them. No dice, still get the report that ZoneAlarm isn't running.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Have you tried the ZoneAlarm uninstall tool?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Hi,

Have you tried the ZoneAlarm uninstall tool?
    Sure did. That's what I used to intiate the uninstall after I reinstalled it. I should say that the first time I uninstalled I used the link in "Add/Remove Programs", but I think that that should also have called the ZoneAlarm uninstall routine, but maybe not.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See if the advice here helps in anyway - it means rebuilding the WMI repository: http://www.pchell.com/support/multip...y_center.shtml

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

davelr (2011-01-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip. Following the procedure did eliminate ZoneAlarm as the cause, but didn't fix what is apparently the underlying problem which is that Windows Firewall will not start automatically following bootup or logon. Since the problem now appears to be different, I'll do a little research and if necessary open a new thread with the appropriate title.

BTW, the referenced procedure was not quite a smooth as advertised and it did step on a couple of other things, notably establishing an internet connection. Had to mess around a bit to get it running again.

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad to know that it helped .

For the Windows firewall issue, see if the advice here helps: http://www.winvistaclub.com/t61.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again for the link, but since this is an XP system the Win7/Vista services are different.

Anyway, turns out that Windows was fine and something else was creating the problem.

The machine is a Lenovo laptop that's used both on dock and of course not docked. Lenovo has a cute (read as nice feature but PITA to use) program called Access Connections that allows you to define profiles for different connection types. The program can detect if docked or not and set to the appropriate interface, properties, etc.

Well, Access Connections takes over control of many network settings including whether Windows Firewall will be allowed to run for a particular connection. As it turns out, when I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and installed MSE and told it to start Win Firewall, Access Connections got the appropriate check box for both the 1394 and wifi interfaces, but NOT the wired interface. Which, of course, was the interface I was using since the machine was docked at the time.

You have to drill down in Access Connections to find the check box to fix the problem. Been there, done that, problem solved.

Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by davelr; 2011-01-29 at 16:25. Reason: typo