Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Express Shared Contacts

I have a pc inherited from my daughter. Today, I was doing a test of exporting contacts...which I have done on other pc's many times. Exporting as a .csv goes as normally. But, if I export as a .wab, two empty folders show up which are not visible from within OE6. They are under "Shared Contacts", and have the names of said daughter and a former roommate. At one point, they probably used "Identities".
    Is there a way to remove these two folders?
    David Carter

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Found the info via Google...deleted those two folders, and life SEEMS good for a while.

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\USER.wab
    To determine the location of your OE WAB file, open the WAB in OE and click Help | About Address Book. If there is no path shown, that means you have set OE to share the Contacts folder in Outlook and so no *.wab file is used). If you open the *.wab's folder in Windows Explorer, you will see not only the <username>.wab file but also an automatic backup copy named <username>.wa~ or <username>wab~. To find all WAB files and backups on your computer, just do a Windows search for *.wa?. To open a backup copy, simply rename the file and change the extension to wab.
    By default OE opens the WAB showing only the contents of the current Identity's folder. That may be adequate for very basic use, but after a short while you will almost certainly want to see the folder structure of the WAB which is visible only after you click View| Folders and Groups. There you see the Shared Contacts folder, the only folder visible to all Identities. In normal use, folders belonging to other Identities are hidden from the current Identity. It is because of the Shared Contacts folder that all Identities share a common WAB file.
    With the presence of hidden folders it sometimes happens that duplicate contacts end up being stored in the WAB. This is not really a serious problem, but it can be confusing to type in a name in a new message, only to be presented a dialogue asking to choose between 2 identical contacts. To view all contacts in all folders, regardless of which Identity is currently logged on, click Start| Run and type wab /a. If needed, click View| Folders and Groups to see the folders. You can now find any duplicates and move them to the Shared Contacts folder, rather than in each Identity's folder.
    David Carter